ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#160008 04/18/05 07:24 PM
Cat Servant
Every now and then. (like right now) there is a pic in the photo forum that touches on your work.
I'd really like to hear from you guys as to what challenges you face in grounding, mounting, etc. I'd also like to hear if we're being overly critical of what you might consider a standard practice.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

H
Which one, Bob's about the CATV drop grounding?

I'd also like to hear if we're being overly critical of what you might consider a standard practice.

No, because we all should be on the same page. That said, a lot depends on your employer's practices and the materials they provide you.

-Hal

M
I agree with Hal some companies provide their employee's with sub-standard or totally un-suitable materials or tools to do the work, these guys have never had to undergo an inspection and get prety colorful with the things they let slide or even better instruct their employee's to do.
I started out with a structured wiring company that spared no expense on tools or materials and taught the guys the right way to do things. Other companies I have seen pinch any penny they can, thus compromising the quality and integrity of their work and also compromising the possibility that they will get return customers.

Some companies that have little competition like the TelCo or CableCo get away with murder in some places.
I am one that is in favor of licensing for this end of the business as it could curb and possibly put an end to a lot of these sub-standard practices that are all too common.
I don't think you guys are being overly critical, electricians for a long time have been held to high standards and LV work should not be treated any differently in my opinion.

B
As an electrician that works for a boc, I can say without a doubt you dont know of what you speak, at least in my area. Bell training has always set the standard in the communications industry, and to say because we dont have competition that we get away with murder is completely irresponsible of you. Good luck in your endevours.

H
Hold on there partner! I'm speaking mostly about cable companies and I don't think you would disagree with that. I work hand in hand with TELCOs, usually Verizon, and I will say that they usually know their stuff. I have found building entrance protector grounds attached to the nearest EMT and at times no protectors at all but things like this are not common with new installations.

-Hal

M
I don't know where you are Renesteinke but I live in NJ and telco and cableco are usually pretty good there with thier installs here, but I work in NYC and it is a whole different world here. From demarcation blocks hanging off of walls, grounding wires ran to the front of an electrical panel and wrapped counterclockwise around one of the panel cover screws.
I can go on and on with some of the things I have seen in the city, A lot of things are just done under the mentality of "Hustle, Hustle !!! Just get it working!!! "
Which I am not a fan of at all.
I don't want to offend any of the people that know their stuff, but there are a lot that don't have a clue.

G
Around here most of the outside craft is contracted and you get the luck of the draw. Some guys are old time phone guys, others can barely be trusted not to poke their eye out with the screwdriver.

Greg Fretwell
B
Sorry I got fired up there. To further the point on cable co. I had a supervisor who after retiring, worked for a cableco. Alot of the techs were ex-felons and such. The training on the cableco side of the industry is seroiusly lacking. I dont mean to denigrate the guys out there in vdv/cableco who are quality minded individuals. Alot of your independant cable guys are downright scary, but the same could be said for guys in other trades too.

Cat Servant
As my screen name suggests, I am in Reno, Nevada. I also do not want to say any trade does bad work....rather, I want to say that I don't know enough about the other trades!

One example...I often see air conditioner installs criticised for 'running the t-stat wire eith the power leads.' This is assumed by the critic, as there is only one conduit to the condenser. What the critic may not know is that the t-stat wire might have been run with the line set, and isn't in the powere conduit at all!

So, when I see the cable, phone, and alarm guys ground their stuff by wrapping a glorified hose clamp around any handy piece of conduit, I do not know if this is correct or adequate for their purposes. I can't imagine Ma Bell having to pound in an 8-ft rod for a little telephone!

So, guys, please speak up in the picture forum when there's sometinig right, wrong, or interesting!

B
Here in Tucson the installs are almost always first rate, occasionally a bit less due to what I figure is a new installer.
The issue I face is, I do a lot of service upgrades on older homes. Of course when a new buyer moves in, the phone and cable gets there first. Then I am always stuck moving there equipment as 9 times out og 10 it is in my way. I tried calling Cox communications to see if maybe they would re locate there stuff but they never returned my call.

Link Copied to Clipboard