Register Now!

Register Now!

We want your input!

Featured:

2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Recent Posts
Calling all Non-US members!! (Non-US only)
by aussie240
Today at 02:39 AM
Photo Upload Tutorial
by DanK
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Sprinklered equipment 26-008
by bigpapa
12/02/16 04:24 PM
On Delay Relay with Auto Reset
by Potseal
12/01/16 09:59 AM
Wow, that was close!
by jraef
11/28/16 07:06 PM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm˛ flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
gfretwell 13
HotLine1 9
Texas_Ranger 8
sparkyinak 7
Trumpy 6
Who's Online
0 registered (), 100 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#158197 - 04/04/06 04:38 PM Equipment charges
ayrton Offline

Loc: Pa
I attempted a search before posting.

Related to the topic of mark up, I am curious as to what extent business owners are charging for equipment. Example: you rent equipment, lift, pullers ect., would you mark up the equipment same as you would job material?

What if you eventually buy the equipment? Does the cost of that increase your hourly rate, or do you charge for that equipment like you are renting it?

Business, Office, Estimating, Legal:
#158198 - 04/04/06 05:47 PM Re: Equipment charges
mahlere Offline

Loc: New Jersey
we charge out equipment separately. We simply take the monthly cost, determine how many hours/days we can expect to use it, mark it up (still gonna pay taxes on this income) and bill the customer accordingly.

We will sometimes add it in to a flat rate price (but take the same items into account)

#158199 - 04/04/06 06:31 PM Re: Equipment charges
Celtic Offline

Loc: NJ
Rent or own, basically same deal....charged out as a rental including any additional costs such as transportation costs/handeling costs - which can be higher on a rental (say a JLG boom lift) because they transport it for additional fees and you will have time lost as your men hurry to prep the thing for return so you don't pay for another day (vs. we own it, just park it over there for now).

#158200 - 06/10/06 08:44 AM Re: Equipment charges
LearJet9 Offline

Loc: Millis, MA USA
We mark up all rental equipment just a though it was material used on the job. You still have costs associated with renting equipment. Generally you have 30 days to pay for it, and I'm betting most don't get paid by the customer for 45 days or more. There is virtually nothing we do as EC's that we can just pass along w/o mark up. (at least that I have found)

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals