ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 484 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
V
VinceR Offline OP
Just a heads up for everyone re an Internet scam you might encounter.
We are in the process of selling one of our older work vans and among other places listed in an Internet classified ad.
I have now gotten two responses that the FBI tells me are a common scam. It goes as follows: you get an email expressing interest in your vehicle and after a few emails they agree to an attractive (to the seller) price. Now the scam: They offer to pay with a cashier’s check for the purchase price PLUS the amount to cover shipping the van from its current location to where they need it. They ask you to take the extra funds and pay their agent in cash when they come to collect the van. The scam is that it is easy to counterfeit cashier’s checks and according to my bank it can take up to 10 business days for a cashier’s check to clear. Thus they drive off with your vehicle and a pocket full of your cash.
Oh for the good old days when you could do business with a handshake.

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
V
VinceR Offline OP
OOOps! I hit the send key before reading carefully.
Obviously, the counterfeit cashier’s is rubber so they get your vehicle and your money, and leave you holding a bad check.

L
Only someone really dumb would fall for that one. Most of us would make sure the check cleared and we had cash in hand before we gave up the goods.

Link Copied to Clipboard