ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#15697 10/25/02 10:21 AM
Question No. 1: Should technical, and qualified persons in the electrical industry be involved in sales of an electrical training product?

Question No. 2: Is it just enough for them to have some experience in the construction industry, or selling shoes considered acceptable?

Question No. 3: When you go to the electrical supply house and ask for an electrical product do you get the one you need, or do you have to explain the use and type of the wiring methods?

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 10-25-2002).]

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Joe:
Question 1:
I see nothing wrong with QUALIFIED individuals "selling" training products. Quite a few inspectors & contractors in this area also "work" as certified instructors within there various fields of expertise. (Electrical, plumbing, building, fire prevention, etc.) As to them "selling"; some offer various Code related texts, at fair pricing.

Question 2:
Personally, anyone should have qualifications in any subject they are "teaching". As to selling shoes, they can offer there talents to people seeking that knowledge; not "brain surgery". We provide electrical maintenance to a national chain of sporting goods and shoes stores, my favorite line to the DIY store people is "I don't sell shoes; you should not do electrical work".

Question 3:
Our supply houses give us what we ask for. The DIY's that frequent there ask all the questions, and in MHO, get the riht replies, ususlly "call a licensed electrician". The big box stores are the place that give "advice"; sometimes good, sometimes bad, but that's another thread. The professional supply houses (Cooper, Graybar, etc.) usually deal with pros, and the DIY's are the ones that "delay" prompt counter service. IMHO, there is nothing wrong with steering someone in the right direction, but if they don't know what they want, how much "help" can anyone give them.

John

John
S
#1 & #2 .....

anyone can be the 'guru that can dance....

#3....suppliers are generally great with stock numbers, carry a widget in from your van and if the have that manufacturer on there line card, they'll tell you the part #
(then lie about the lead time...)

however, try and ask them a rating/listing Q, or how x-amount of widgets interface
[Linked Image]

N
Question 1: yes
Question 2: They should have enough of a background to KNOW what they are talking about. Shoe and snake oil salesmen good by
Question 3 No problems at the supply house. Big box stores - depends on the aisle clerk - cashers do not hve a clue.

ed
T
#1,#2 I have seen a lot of people with "book larnen" go out and be teachers. The old phrase, those who can't do, teach is too true. Best teacher I've ever had was this crusty old salt who had truly "been there and done that".

I have found the more knowledgable the counter help, the more the supervisor is threatened, the harder the time he gives the counterman, the sooner he accepts a job offer from one of the customers. I had a place that had a terrific manager, and counter guys that really knew their stuff. It lasted about a year before they threw out the manager and the counter guys went their seperate ways. I almost do better at the big orange box now.

F
5 years ago our local supply house had a company policy that required their salespeople to attend schooling at Allen-Bradley and pass before they could rep motor control equipment. They also required their people to pass training on distribution equipment, devices and lighting products. Now they just employ who ever they can get for $6.50 an hour.

Link Copied to Clipboard