Now Available!

Recent Posts
Forum Software Upgrade coming soon...
by Webmaster
Today at 12:03 AM
Re: Fabricating Guards out of Lexan?
by frank
Yesterday at 04:11 PM
Would ELV branch circuits be a good idea?
by gfretwell
Yesterday at 01:26 PM
Why cables look like they do
by Texas_Ranger
Yesterday at 12:33 PM
100% breakers?
by Texas_Ranger
01/16/17 06:13 AM
New in the Gallery:
Desk-mounted "power-board"
Top Posters (30 Days)
HotLine1 20
Webmaster 20
gfretwell 13
Trumpy 12
ghost307 12
Who's Online
0 registered (), 0 Guests and 36 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#156882 - 07/23/05 07:36 AM bidding help?
NJI Offline

Loc: Oneonta, NY USA
Hello, I would like to ask for some information from you all. I am relativly new to the industry and primarily do res and light commercial. I have an option to wire a new home upwards of 8500 sq feet. Most everything around here these days is 1/3 of that. just wondering if most of you bid based on a sq foot formula or try to get a speced out fixture list? or go with something like wall hole and ceiling holes plus fixtures as the customer specs them. I would really like to be competative in this but need a little advice on the bidding. don't want ot find out that i got the job yet was missing the last bid by 12k. thanks
I have worked as an apprentice and on to a journeyman in a general construction company. 90% of what I do is residential. I have an associats degree in electrical technology. I have started my own buisness this year and am with out the help of other electricians. this is why i find this site so helpful.

Business, Office, Estimating, Legal:
#156883 - 07/23/05 02:47 PM Re: bidding help?
derater Offline

Dump the sq. ft. approach and put in the extra time required to figure p/ opening.
Assuming something that size can only be custom,get working price from plans and then talk to the h/o.Document all changes,and note that price is pre
'walk through'.After going through every room,etc. you'll all be on the same page and your numbers will be accurate.

#156884 - 07/23/05 03:28 PM Re: bidding help?
NJI Offline

Loc: Oneonta, NY USA
thankyou for the reply. right now it's in the blue print stage and still working on a start date.....potentially. I had a heads up from the GC and said he was going to be asking for bids soon.
I have worked as an apprentice and on to a journeyman in a general construction company. 90% of what I do is residential. I have an associats degree in electrical technology. I have started my own buisness this year and am with out the help of other electricians. this is why i find this site so helpful.

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals