ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 139 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
C
copper Offline OP
I was wondering if anyone has a sample of a preventive maintenance program for industrial, or commercial work. From cleaning motor starters,Infrared Thermography, to marketing,i know there is so much more other types of maintenance work out there to do. I was just wondering what some guys have had success in. I am trying to avoid the school of hard knocks of buying expensive equipment and not using it, or working for nothing.I'm not really sure on how to charge for such work. Any input will be lots of help. Thanks

"If your going to be stupid, You gotta be tough"
Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
J
When I worked in industrial settings, did electrical inspections. Have a good ammeter for checking motors forward and reverse. Contact some of the motor repair shops in your area and see if you can snag an electrical booklet if they have one, it should have all of the motor frame numbers, NEMA, voltage, amps, info for this type of work. I picked up one of these books from a shop in TN, it was a promo thing they get printed up. I don't know if the Uglys Reference book has enough info in it or not.

Hope I have helped?

J
Also, you might need a good mag drill at some point but I wouldn't run out and buy one yet on a credit card until you actually need it. No sense in paying interest on it at this point...

H
copper, dont have a program but what we used to to in the power plants and HV substations was thermal vision once a year (at least) and at the plants motor contactors was yearly also. but past couple of years in the substations was just thermal and dont do anything unless showed signs of hot spots...

H
reposted here from a email:
Ken I was working for the Electric utility at the time so I made my $30 salary, and we owned are own thermal vision, and well they start at about 30k for the good ones, so good question on what it would be worth to a company, my guess is to come a company and thermal all they want checked in a day maybe $1000.00 then you have to sell the repairs to them, they might want to do that themselves. but not everyone owns good thermal vision equipt., bye the way should keep all replys on the bulliton board, thats what its for INFOTMATION.for everyone

Ken Hicks wrote: thanks for the reply.Do you know how you charged for a thermal scan? and how much you charged to do the repairs?

[This message has been edited by highvoltageguy (edited 04-07-2005).]

C
copper Offline OP
good point!!!!! my bad

"If your going to be stupid, You gotta be tough"
I do work for a company that does thermoscanning, I send my guys out with there techs and we pull panels for them and also do all the repair work (Im a EC), and for servicing 10 peaces of equiptment I charge about $2000 more or less but it may very depending on what the nature of the hot spot shows.
Example: a MCC that has a bunch of loose screws on lugs will be cheeper than a peace of equiptment like a knife switch that needs to have power interupted so I can clean the female and male stabs and get out the old emory cloth and electr clean.
And as far as a maintnence program I am working on a solid exel based templet for various tasks soch as motor pms, and a rotating clock that each peace of equiptment is attached to and comes up based on:
#1 age of equiptment
#2 criticle non criticle status
#3 continuous duty of equiptment etc.
There is some very expensive programs out there (SAP, Maximo,SEIMANS and Allen Bradley has some but there tied to the automation) but if your not locked into a huge $$$ maint contract it wouldent make since to invest in them.
Hope I was helpful.

COOKCC
J
You do realize you have revived a thread from 2005?

Cookcc:

Most of the posters to this thread are inactive. Let's see if anything posts from the current members.

John

Link Copied to Clipboard