I am trying to figure out what the requirments for licensing in the state of Ohio.
Hope this answers your question.
Ohio Construction Industry Examining Board(OCILB)
Summary of Questions Below
How do I obtain a State of Ohio License?
Which specific trades or fields does OCILB license?
Do you require an examination for general contractors and where are they licensed?
Do you reciprocate with other states?
How often must I submit proof of continuing education and how many hours are required?
When and where must I display my license(s)?
1. How do I obtain a State of Ohio License? Applicants must meet the following requirements:
Be at least 18 years of age.
Be a United States citizen.
Be of good moral character (with no felony convictions).
Have 5 years of contracting experience in the specific and relevant field immediately preceding an application to take the examination. For experience you must meet one of the following:
(a) Be a tradesperson with at least 5 years of experience immediately prior to the date the application is filed , or
(b) Be an engineer with at least 3 years of business experience, or
(c) Be an individual with at least 5 years of business experience in the appropriate field.
Pass the examination in the field.
Pay the applicable fees.
2. Which specific trades or fields does OCILB license? Electrical, HVAC, Hydronics, Plumbing and Refrigeration.
3. Do you require an examination for general contractors and where are they licensed? We do not have an examination for general contractors. General contractors need to contact the city or county for licensing.
4. Do you reciprocate with other states? Currently, the only agreements that are in effect are for electrical contractors with the States of Kentucky
and West Virginia.
5. How often must I submit proof of continuing education and how many hours are required? Proof of 10 hours of continuing education from an approved training agency must be submitted each year for all trades. The 10 hours may be in ANY approved course for HVAC, Hydronics, Plumbing and Refrigeration. Electrical MUST have at least 5 hours of code each year.
6. When and where must you display your license(s) Effective September 17, 2002 contracting speciality license(s) must be displayed (I.E., all company vehicles that display the name of the company as advertisement, each location of business, construction projects, business cards, telephone directory, advertisement and promotional materials.
A. At least 2 (two) inches in height;
B.Be displayed on at least two areas of the vehicle;
C. Shall be displayed as OH Lic. # -----.
Here is a link to the Department of Commerce web page with this information and other FAQs: http://www.com.state.oh.us/dic/dicfaq.htm
Here is the main link to the the OCILB: http://www.com.state.oh.us/dic/dicocilb.htm
P.S. I hope you were not one of the unfortunate pepole in Bucyrus without electric service for several days after last weeks ice storm.
[This message has been edited by safetygem (edited 01-10-2005).]