ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
E
Has anyone out there ever thought about where the rules for the electrical part of an oil burner installation come from? What are the rules, what are the myths? For example: Do you need a switch at the top of the basement stair? Do you need a high temperature cutout above the oil burner? Do these rules apply to gas, too?

Earl
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Cat Servant
My best guess is that the governing document would be the ASME "Boiler and Pressure Vessel code."

E
NFPA 31 has the rules, anyone interested in them? Has NFPA been adopted in your jurisdiction?

Earl
I
In MA yes we have to have a high temp cut above the burner and yes we have to have a shutdown switch outside of the room containing the burner, if the burner is in the basement at the top of the stairs outside the basement is the location.

These rules are in MA fire regulations.

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
E
Bob,

In CT, we have adopted NFPA 31. We require the switch at the unit, the switch at the "entry to the oil burner room" (which could be the same switch), but the high limit mounted above the oil burner is only recommended, not required.

Earl

Earl
S
In my part of the world we have a switch at every point of entrance to the burner room as well as on the machine. The classic mistakes our apprentices make is to 3way or 4way them rather than putting them in series. It's a new concept to most apprentices.
These rules do not apply to gas burners (other than the switch at the unit).

C
I'm sure this thread has been long forgotten, but being a southern New England guy myself, I wonder about these issues all the time!!

There seem to be far more myths than facts on this issue. The biggest misconception is where a Firomatic is required. It seems like they get installed above all gas and oil burning units, but I cannot locate a code that requires them. Although I see how they are necessary for oil burners, they have absolutely no purpose for a gas burner.

Also, I don't see what good the customary switch at the top of the stairs will do either. By the time a fire starts, the best thing to do is get the heck out of the house and call the fire department.

Peter

Peter
E
Peter,

The rules for oil burners are found in NFPA 31 (which CT has adopted statewide via the Office of the State Fire Marshal)). The switch is required to be at the entrance to the oil burner room, not necessarily at the top of the stair.
You are right about getting out of the house if there is a fire! But, what if there is only a smell or noise? Wouldn't you want to be able to shut the thing down without getting too close? I know my oil burner has sometimes made terrible noises (and smells). My wife has had to use the switch at the top of the stair, and then call the repairman, not the fire department. On the down side, when my sister-in-law visited, she shut off the boiler, thinking it was a second light switch to the basement! (even though this switch has a red faceplate, and is on the opposite side of the stairway.) We still love her anyway.

These rules are for oil burners, rules for gas burners are much less stringent electrically. Only the NEC rules for a worker's disconnect switch apply.

If you are interseted in other CT codes and regulations, check out the Fire Marshal's web page at: www.state.ct.us/dps
Follow the links to his list of regulations. Tent regulations may also be of interest to we electricians.
Also, the CT State Building Code has amended the NEC. You can check this out at the same web site, but follow the links to the Office of the State Building Inspector. Look for the CT State Supplement.
If you are interested in free seminars, follow the link for the Office of Education and Data Management (my office). We offer seminars for continuing education to CT building inspectors of all types (including electrical inspectors), fire marshals, fire investigators and hazardous materials investigators. Contractors are welcome, but you have to register via fax or mail.
I am doing a 3-hour seminar in June at four different locations statewide on Building code rules pertaining to electricians. Hope to see you!

Earl

Earl

Link Copied to Clipboard