Books, Tools and Test Equipment for Electrical and Construction Trades

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#153106 - 04/25/06 06:36 AM Heathkit Oscilloscope
electure Offline

Loc: Fullerton, CA USA
From Adam Rewired

Quote:
Just thought I would send in a few pictures of that Heathkit O-Scope I have... It still works but can't really be used for anything but trying to see what "shape" a given input is... Picked it up at a yard sale for $20 about 15 years ago... Come in handy once or twice! Oh ya, I havent opened it but from what I can see inside, and from the amount of heat that it gives off, it contains vacuum tubes

Super Rod Cable Installation Tools

Super Rod Cable Rod System
Super Rod Cable Rod System -
Voted
Best Product of the Last 50 Years by members of NICEIC

#153107 - 04/26/06 10:00 AM Re: Heathkit Oscilloscope
BigJohn Offline

Loc: Boston, MA
That's great. It reminds me of the first 'scope I ever bought. Looked an awful lot like that one, some old military surplus rig, I bought it for $8, thought it was the coolest thing ever.

Using it one night and it started sounding like a pot of boiling water and giving off a smell like burnt marshmallows, alas, it is no more.

-John

#153108 - 08/12/06 07:42 AM Re: Heathkit Oscilloscope
pauluk Offline

Loc: Norfolk, England
Heathkit products were sold in the U.K. in association with Daystrom of Gloucester.

There were modifications to suit British 240V supplies, and U.K.-specific TV models for our 405/625-line services. Some Heath/Zenith products were not sold here at all (e.g. all CB-related stuff, as there was no legal CB service in Britain before 1981).

Click below for a 1967 Daystrom/Heath ad:

Page 1

Page 2

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 08-12-2006).]

#153109 - 08/12/06 10:27 AM Re: Heathkit Oscilloscope
wa2ise Offline

Loc: Oradell NJ USA
If you have a current probe (similar to that clip over the wire ampmeter you have) you could see how bad the power factor is on the neutral of a Y fed computer server farm.

#153110 - 08/12/06 08:48 PM Re: Heathkit Oscilloscope
NJwirenut Offline

Loc: Bergen County, NJ
Daystrom was one of a succession of larger companies that owned Heathkit over the years. Others were Schlumberger and Zenith.

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals