Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#152822 - 02/21/06 10:17 PM Old 2-Way Edison Plug
Trumpy Offline

Loc: SI,New Zealand
Image and info submitted by hemingray:

Quote:
Found in Cave City, AR, in a well-frequented antique store, an old 2-Way Edison plug adaptor. Made of porcelain with a brass upper shell, the two porcelain rings on top of the brass shell are removable. (adaptor is positioned almost upside-down). Adaptor has a patent date of 3-3-03 (1903), and a 2nd date of 5-17-04 (1904). Has the standard rating of 660W/250V, and on one side, "Western Electric" is stamped into the brass between the two sockets:

Thanks Cliff.

Super Rod Cable Installation Tools

Super Rod Cable Rod System
Super Rod Cable Rod System -
Voted
Best Product of the Last 50 Years by members of NICEIC

#152823 - 02/21/06 10:31 PM Re: Old 2-Way Edison Plug
Hemingray Offline

Loc: Lehigh Acres, FL
Almost forgot to include the following:

The adaptor is made by Benjamin.

#152824 - 02/22/06 05:55 AM Re: Old 2-Way Edison Plug
pauluk Offline

Loc: Norfolk, England
 Quote:
on one side, "Western Electric" is stamped into the brass

Hmmm..... So was this made for Ma Bell?

#152825 - 03/05/06 04:40 PM Re: Old 2-Way Edison Plug
mbhydro Offline

Loc: Winnipeg MB Canada
I am not sure about Western Electric being diversified but I was reading a book on Northern Electric (before they became Nortel) when they were still owned by Bell Canada and they made a number of non telephone products for consumer sale. Home radio's and home organs are two of the products I remember off the top of my head being in the book.

#152826 - 03/06/06 07:54 AM Re: Old 2-Way Edison Plug
pauluk Offline

I guess I should have thought about that a little more. After all, Western Electric also made a lot of sound equipment for the movie industry, didn't it?

#152827 - 03/06/06 04:04 PM Re: Old 2-Way Edison Plug
classicsat Offline

Yes, I remember reading an article somewhere talking about refurbishing WE theatrical sound equipment for the then infant Home Theater/audiophile movement.

#152828 - 03/06/06 06:25 PM Re: Old 2-Way Edison Plug
mxslick Offline

Loc: Atomic City, ID USA
Indeed, there is still a good market for the old Western Electric theatre sound equipment, I know of a few folks who'll pay top dollar for the old stuff, sometimes regardless of condition!! Mainly audiophiles, no cinemas seem to want it anymore. Too bad, too. A properly aligned W/E mono system will run circles around most of the garbage in cinemas today. The onl thing that would be lacking with the old stuff is the rumbly bottom end.

#152829 - 03/11/06 10:39 PM Re: Old 2-Way Edison Plug
Active 1 Offline

Loc: Grayslake IL, USA
I had some family near Omaha that worked at Western Electric until the end of the 80's. They made telephone materials. I want to say something with large cables. When the phone companies broke up they had lay offs.
Here's some interesting history of WE sence the 1872: http://www.bellsystemmemorial.com/westernelectric_history.html

Just read there that Graybar was a spin off of WE electrical supply department.

The main web page looks like they don't have much going on: http://www.westernelectric.com/

Tom

#152830 - 03/12/06 08:57 AM Re: Old 2-Way Edison Plug
pauluk Offline

The Bell System Memorial site, along with
http://www.telephonetribute.com/

has some great information. Highly recommended, but be warned you'll end up reading them for the rest of the day instead of getting any work done!

Quote:
Just read there that Graybar was a spin off of WE electrical supply department.

I found a couple of files a while ago which are taken from a satellite radio technical talk show of a few years ago, and in one of the telephone-related discussions the subject of Graybar came up.

The old-time switchman said that at one time Graybar was the only source of Western Electric telephone equipment for the independent (non-Bell) companies.

There's actually a lot of interesting nostaligic telephone and radio/TV talk on those links. Go to
http://www.centralofficeonline.com/

and you'll find two separate links about halfway down the page (the Tom & Daryll show).

Make sure you have plenty of time though -- Each clip is about an hour and a half!

#152831 - 03/13/06 12:29 PM Re: Old 2-Way Edison Plug
kale Offline

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals