ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals

ECN Shout Chat
Top Posters(30 Days)
Admin 17
Recent Posts
Old decora style outlets
by Admin. 03/25/17 11:40 AM
ESA Arc flash course
by TheShockDoctors. 03/24/17 10:15 AM
fuse rejectors
by HotLine1. 03/24/17 07:53 AM
Another Forum Update
by Admin. 03/22/17 03:04 PM
Dining room plugs
by watersparkfalls. 03/21/17 10:31 PM
New in the Gallery:
SE cable question
Popular Topics(Views)
231,432 Are you busy
166,150 Re: Forum
160,606 Need opinion
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 80 guests, and 10 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#151190 - 08/22/02 09:20 PM What's Your Story, Were You Ever Shocked?  
Joe Tedesco  Offline
Member
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 2,749
Boston, Massachusetts USA
My first experience early in my career at 13, was when I opened up a neutral in a multiwire branch circuit to replace a ballast.

It felt like I was being kicked in the head by a bull!


Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant

Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools

#151191 - 08/22/02 09:54 PM Re: What's Your Story, Were You Ever Shocked?  
Electricmanscott  Offline
Member
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 1,457
Holden, MA USA
My high school electrical teacher always made the new kids grab a live receptacle. Never do that again!


#151192 - 08/22/02 10:01 PM Re: What's Your Story, Were You Ever Shocked?  
CTwireman  Offline
Member
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 840
Connecticut, USA
I was really young, probably around 7 or 8. I was plugging in a night light, my finger slipped and I touched one of the prongs. OUCH!


Peter

#151193 - 08/23/02 12:30 AM Re: What's Your Story, Were You Ever Shocked?  
ElectricAL  Offline
Member
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 597
Minneapolis, MN USA
When I was in 4th Grade, I came into the possession of two refrigerator boxes. I laid them inside the old dirt floored garage out back and over the next few days, kind of moved in. I ran a 2-wire cord from the house out across the cedar fence posts so I could have light. Then there was enough of a rain to dampen the floor and my sleeping bag and I found out that the lampholder's paper isolator didn't always isolate the outer metal body and that the unpolarized plug was in backwards. I can still taste the metal in the back of my mouth from the thru-body jolt I got when I turned the light off that damp night.


Al Hildenbrand

#151194 - 08/23/02 05:21 AM Re: What's Your Story, Were You Ever Shocked?  
pauluk  Offline
Member
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 7,520
Norfolk, England
First jolt I ever got was at the age of about 4 when I went to "help mommy" unplug the vacuum cleaner, got the plug part way out and put my fingers around the back to get a better grip. Lucky it was just across one hand.

The most severe shock I can recall getting was from a series-chain of fairy lights on the Christmas tree when I was about 13. I was changing a bulb when the holder disintegrated and left me holding the shell of the miniature lampholder in one hand and the wire which had become detached from the center contact in the other. 240V hand to hand -- Ouch! [Linked Image]


#151195 - 08/23/02 06:31 AM Re: What's Your Story, Were You Ever Shocked?  
sparky  Offline
Member
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 5,303
during my apprecticeship i found out those mini-mag flashlights are great bite sticks
[Linked Image]


#151196 - 08/23/02 10:52 AM Re: What's Your Story, Were You Ever Shocked?  
resqcapt19  Offline
Member
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 2,148
IL
When I was about 5, my dad was building us a new house. He had some open sockets and was always telling me not to put my fingers in them. I kept asking why, and he would always tell me that it would hurt. I guess I didn't believe him and I kept asking again and again, he finally said, Donnie, just do it and find out for yourself. I did and it hurt a bit, but didn't keep me from becoming an electrician. When I was about 5, my dad was building us a new house. He had some open sockets and was always telling me not to put my fingers in them. I kept asking why, and he would always tell me that it would hurt. I guess I didn't believe him and I kept asking again and again, he finally said, Donnie, just do it and find out for yourself. I did and it hurt a bit, but didn't keep me from becoming an electrician.
By the way, that is the only house that I've ever been in that was done completely, including the phone lines, in rigid metal conduit. They were replacing all of lighting at the factory where he was maintenance foramen and he bought the conduit that was being removed for scrap metal price. Most of it was full straight sticks of 1/2". It was all bent using the bender in a Rigid Tri-Stand vise and hand threaded.
Don


Don(resqcapt19)

#151197 - 08/23/02 09:47 PM Re: What's Your Story, Were You Ever Shocked?  
arseegee  Offline
Member
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 324
Statesboro, GA USA
I cant count how many times over the years. The worst and most stupid was back when I owned a commercial sound and lighting company some ten years ago. We were working nite shift on a job and it was about 2am and very cold. The truck was parked far away from the work area and I needed my KO kit. I had my hole saws inside with me. Well I crawled up a ladder to make my hole in this LIVE 400a three phase panel. I pulled the conductors in the gutter out of my way and pulled the trigger on the drill. My intentions were to yank the bit out as soon as it went through but that didn't happen. The bit caught some conductors and it blew out of the drill and landed between legs B and C on the line side. Big blue arc... Me on ground... 1200a main tripped... Everybody in the dark.

Dumb, dumb, dumb.


#151198 - 08/24/02 02:02 AM Re: What's Your Story, Were You Ever Shocked?  
elecbob  Offline
Member
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 141
WA
I was about 14. I touched the output of a flyback transformer on an old B&W TV. About 6KV. The TV was located in the corner of a room. Almost broke my collar bone! I never really recovered. Still kinda nuts. Kinda nuts. Kinda nuts. I drill and pull and put those twisty things on, throw the switch and everything (well usually everything) comes on. People smile shake my hand and write me a big fat check. Everyone (even my wife tho I don't get much done around the house) love me. Wonder what I'l be when I grow up. Any suggestions?


#151199 - 08/24/02 11:44 AM Re: What's Your Story, Were You Ever Shocked?  
sparky66wv  Offline
Member
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 2,232
West Virginia
12VDC motors will oscillate briefly at 60 Hz when connected to a 120V source, then it explodes.

Hey, I was a preteen and tired of buying batteries!

Never really got hit until I was an apprentice. 240V through my left hand while holding a 250V 20A receptacle as the mechanic turned on all the breakers. This same mechanic (Virginian for "journeyman") was scarred head to toe from dropping a screwdriver into a live meterbase, and was the only electrician I've ever witnessed step through a ceiling. This guy was an accident waiting to happen.


-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Member Spotlight
TOOL_5150
TOOL_5150
Bay Area
Posts: 61
Joined: August 2007
Show All Member Profiles 
Featured:

2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Shout Box
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.018s Queries: 15 (0.003s) Memory: 0.8274 MB (Peak: 1.0011 MB) Zlib enabled. Server Time: 2017-03-25 17:33:21 UTC