ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 269 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Cat Servant
Another thread recently brought up housekeeping on a job site.

I seem to notice a pattern here; the most screwed up jobs I've been on were also the ones where the job lacked a dumpster, toilet, and often had folks "set up" right in the middle of aisles or doorways.

Is the co-incidence? Or, are poor safety practices also an indicatoor of over-all poor management?

[This message has been edited by renosteinke (edited 06-02-2006).]

Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
I
It has been my experience that few messy jobs run smoothly.

Even fewer clean jobs run badly.

IMO it says a lot about the GC when your tripping over trash while working.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
C
I equate housekeeping with organization.

If the basics of housekeeping can't be accomplished - how can they organize something a bit more exacting ~ like the actual work?

A messy jobsite is a slow and dangerous site...destined for cost over runs and accidents.

~~ CELTIC ~~
...-= NJ =-...
S
As a former machinist I lay out everything in the most neat and orderley manner that I can. Drills couplings, pipe,cable, you do not have to go to the truck for anything. My boss says that since ive been with him, he has not lost a single tool,and the job seems to go a lot smoother. As we do a lot of fire restoration he now will not start until most of the mess has been cleaned up. A messy jobsite is a accident waiting to happen. Planning and organizing is the key.

B
I recently did a new state office and branch for a large national fastening company. For some reason the builder's project manager left it to the trades to run the job. The project manager didn't make one appearance during the whole project. Interestingly, that job ran smoother than any other I've done for that builder.

John,
It's like a lot of things.
Would you hire a lawyer that had a messy office and a full ashtray?.
Or would you eat at a restaurant that had uncleared tables and the like?.
Most of our guys over here in the Building Trades know the rules.
But a poorly kempt worksite is not only a danger to those working in it, it can often be a fire hazard considering that most of the access is often via ladders.
I'd like to see someone that can descend a ladder as quick as they can climb one without injuring themselves.

S
I also find when working on a messy jobsite that other trades (and I use the term "trades" loosely) are always grabbing our ladders or our extension cords. We use Rubbermaid tote boxes to bring our stuff from the van into the site, and I've even had other trades dump our stuff out (tools, connectors, boxes) onto the floor so they can use the tote box for garbage. Or even worse, they will leave the tools etc in the tote boxes and dump their garbage on top.

Sixer

"Will it be cheaper if I drill the holes for you?"
B
Would you hire a lawyer that had a messy office and a full ashtray?.

My ex-wife's office was always like that. Yet if you asked her for something she could lay her hand on it straight away. And she was the 3rd top salesperson in Australia for the company she worked for.
As strange at it seems, some people simply work better that way.

[This message has been edited by briselec (edited 06-13-2006).]

T
The cleanest GC I ever knew was so anal-retentive he could have doubled for Phil Hartman's 'anal-retentive carpenter'. He destroyed the subs and ruined the job. He was canned for it. But it was neat.

The foremen with the cleanest trucks, in my experience, run the craziest jobs: total chaos. I guess that they are too busy waxing their machines to attend to business.

Certainly, you don't want the job site turning into a dump.... But the task at hand is to build it right, and quickly, too. A broom fetish only helps so far.

Tesla
I've worked with GC's from both ends of the spectrum.
It is entirely up to the GC to control what happens within his worksite.
Having said that, it is to a degree up to the sub-contractors to clean up after themselves.
There is a clause often written into our contracts here about the removal of trade debris.
If you fail to do so, you often carry the penalty of having it removed for you.
It's one thing I instill into my apprentices, clean up after yourself, wood chips especially.
Take it all with you= no penalty.

Link Copied to Clipboard