by Potseal
Yesterday at 09:59 AM
Wow, that was close!
by jraef
11/28/16 07:06 PM
Earthquake in New Zeeland
by RODALCO
11/27/16 11:25 PM
Calling all Non-US members!! (Non-US only)
by Tjia1981
11/27/16 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
gfretwell 15
HotLine1 10
Trumpy 8
Texas_Ranger 8
sparkyinak 7
Who's Online
2 registered (jraef, LongRunner), 188 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#150827 - 12/03/05 02:11 PM pole work safety; the life you save
bobleon Offline

Loc: Redford Michigan USA
could be my 19 year old son’s

He recently began working as a TV cable installer, and does not seem to be getting adequate pole safety training. It appears there are some shoe string operations in that industry, and that they are a bit lax on the safety training.
He is only on a pole maybe 5% of the time, (and we know that the cable lines are ‘usually’ the lowest ones..but then how long does it take to be wrong..and thus dead?

The question then is: what info is available on pole safety ...for cable TV installers? I spent a couple hours browsing the NIOSH website and found a few good items but did not see much on pole safety..mostly it just says..stay away. Not an option for him

Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
#150828 - 12/04/05 09:44 PM Re: pole work safety; the life you save
jhumphrey Offline

Loc: Gulfport, MS., USA
General Safety for line work see OSHA 1910.269, Telecommunications 1910.268 and if your going to be involved in Electrical Transmission and Distribution Construction see 1926 Sub Part V.

Unfortunately.... this work evolved from the telecommunications companies which had good training programs... as they outsourced it to contractors that training fell by the wayside.

#150829 - 12/10/05 02:53 PM Re: pole work safety; the life you save
Trumpy Offline

Loc: SI,New Zealand
Hi Bob,
Welcome to ECN, mate!.
Having people working on poles without proper safety training sets a rather dangerous precedent.
It's usually the first thing you learn at the PoCo where I work.
I'll see what else I can dig up for you.....

#150830 - 12/11/05 03:13 AM Re: pole work safety; the life you save
frank Offline

Loc: windsor ontario canada
Around here the cable guys put their extension ladders right on the wires and up they go.It seems to be standard practice day or night and quite dangerous if you ask me.I don't think they get safety training at all.I have to tie off when I'm above 10'so how do they(the cable company)get away with it?

#150831 - 12/11/05 04:37 AM Re: pole work safety; the life you save
Trumpy Offline

Loc: SI,New Zealand
frank,
 Quote:
Around here the cable guys put their extension ladders right on the wires and up they go

More or less they are working on the strength of the messenger wire that supports the CATV wire.
 Quote:
I have to tie off when I'm above 10'so how do they(the cable company)get away with it?

Working on poles isn't just about working on poles, there are a lot of other things that come into the frey.
Having a pole snap while you are up the thing can really dent your confidence, not to mention broken bones, pole testing before you climb is essential!.
Same side of the coin, first person that climbs the ladder ties it off to the pole!.
Also ladders meant to be leaned against poles are required to have a strap at the head end (top).
One last thing is the need to know your pole rescue techniques, no matter who you are in the team.
Don't laugh, we had a guy here had a coronary once he climbed a pole.
Thank God for good pole belts.

#150832 - 01/20/06 12:03 AM Re: pole work safety; the life you save
RODALCO Offline

Loc: Titirangi, Akld, New Zealand
As what Trumpy says, its that safety working around poles is of paramount importance.
Condition of the pole has to be known, warning label may be tagged on the pole, hammer test, visual check of the pole and overall hardware of all conductors and equipment installed on the pole.
Sometimes ground level was lowered hence less stability etc.

Voltage levels to be aware of on the POCO conductors. 400V 11kV 33 kV

All to often you see a telco worker with no hard hat , aluminium ladder, no safety harness and ladder not secured with a tie line working on the telco wires by himself.
that's a recepy for disaster.
At least in the POCO industry we have proper PPE to work at a higher level of safety for pole and general utility work.

You only need an aged POCO wire to snap and you can have a fried brain
Hardhat will at least protect you for that and other falling objects.

#150833 - 01/20/06 08:36 AM Re: pole work safety; the life you save
gfretwell Offline

Loc: Estero,Fl,usa
This is just the natural progression of the "contractor" phenomenon. The host company makes sure they are as isolated as possible from liability then they award the contract to the lowest bidder. That is usually a guy in a truck (or car) who has minimal training. Being a sole proprietor he doesn't have to abide by OSHA. I am surprised more people don't get killed. I see plenty of dumb things going on when I drive around watching these "no name" guys swinging from cable or telco wires. I would say the POCO should be policing this since they usually own the pole but they use their share of "contractors" too.

#150834 - 01/20/06 09:04 AM Re: pole work safety; the life you save
bobleon Offline

Loc: Redford Michigan USA
Thanks for the feedback. As I suspected the provisions for training are weak(ening)..and the consequences high. btw..what is a PoCo?

#150835 - 01/20/06 11:59 AM Re: pole work safety; the life you save
Bill Addiss Offline

Loc: NY, USA
PoCo = Power Company

Bill

#150836 - 01/20/06 02:15 PM Re: pole work safety; the life you save
RODALCO Offline

Loc: Titirangi, Akld, New Zealand
We have auditors who work for the line assett owner(POCO) checking our worksites at random.
Check if we comply with PPE, safe working pracitises, and tailgate meetings.
All POCO work in Auckland NZ is contracted out.

as gfretwell sais
 Quote:
I would say the POCO should be policing this since they usually own the pole but they use their share of "contractors" too

The problem is that the auditors don't know where everyone works on the system.
If it's a HV job, no problem. There are switching schedules issued and test and access permits which an auditor can uplift from the controlroom and he can visit the worksite.

A telco worker may be on site for ½ hour and is gone.
I will check with an auditor next time if they do pick up those telco guys too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals