The Electrical Contractor Network

ECN Electrical Forum
Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals

Books, Tools and Test Equipment for Electrical and Construction Trades

Register Now!

Register Now!

We want your input!

Featured:
   

2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

   
Recent Posts
Forum Software Upgrade coming soon...
by Webmaster
Today at 12:03 AM
Re: Fabricating Guards out of Lexan?
by frank
Yesterday at 04:11 PM
Would ELV branch circuits be a good idea?
by gfretwell
Yesterday at 01:26 PM
Why cables look like they do
by Texas_Ranger
Yesterday at 12:33 PM
100% breakers?
by Texas_Ranger
01/16/17 06:13 AM
New in the Gallery:
Desk-mounted "power-board"
Top Posters (30 Days)
Webmaster 20
HotLine1 19
gfretwell 13
Trumpy 12
ghost307 12
Who's Online
1 registered (brsele), 0 Guests and 208 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#150747 - 09/08/05 05:31 AM A few Selected Accidents from down here
Trumpy Offline


Member

Registered: 07/05/02
Posts: 8552
Loc: SI,New Zealand
Guys just a few recent nasty Accidents as reported to the Electrical Safety Service here in NZ.

 Quote:
Voltage: 400
Result: Fatal
Location :Domestic

A trainee electrician was electrocuted when he attempted to join a live three phase neutral screen cable to the underground mains he had installed for a new domestic residence. The apprentice failed to identify that one phase of the cable was live and was feeding another two properties down the right-of-way.


Next is this:
 Quote:
Voltage: N/A
Result: Fatal
Location: Industry

An electrician was carrying out commissioning checks on a lift from the top of the car. While he was working, the
car moved upward causing him to receive fatal injuries.


And this:

 Quote:
Voltage: 230
Result: Fatal
Location: Domestic

An electrician was replacing a wall oven in a domestic kitchen. Having disconnected and removed the old oven and hob, he found standard colour-coding had not been used for the single core TPS cables, which were all red. To identify the neutral and earth phases, he used a tester on the tails of the cables. He was lying in the wall cavity against an earthed conductor when a cable sprang out and touched him, causing a fatal electric shock. The owner found him, called an ambulance and turned off the oven wall switch. One of the fuses for the 2-phase supply had blown. With all switches on and the two fuses in place, there was no effective isolation for the conductors.
An inspection found no problems with the installation. The phase and neutral conductors could have been identified with the circuit isolated by removing the wall switch, sighting their coding and ‘buzzing out’ the tails. Using a tester on a live circuit with unsecured cables was an unsafe work practice.


Finally:
 Quote:
Voltage: 230
Result: Burns
Location: Commercial

A handyman went to switch off a faultyMCB in a hotel kitchen switchboard when it exploded causing burns to his hand.
The circuit breaker was closed onto a short circuit which was later repaired by
an electrician.



[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 09-08-2005).]
_________________________
Let's face it, these days if you're not young, you're old - Red Green grin

Top
Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
#150748 - 10/27/05 06:58 PM Re: A few Selected Accidents from down here
Trumpy Offline


Member

Registered: 07/05/02
Posts: 8552
Loc: SI,New Zealand
Bump.
_________________________
Let's face it, these days if you're not young, you're old - Red Green grin

Top


ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals