ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#150068 08/31/04 01:55 PM
Trumpy Offline OP
Guys,
I have been without a job for a week, as an EC.
I was asked to go out and hook up a 22kV Transformer, with my PPE, that's OK, I don't have a problem with that.
But my Boss asked me to take an Apprentice Electrician (who has only been on the job 3 weeks)to show him the ropes in Line work!.
I said, NO WAY!, where are his Gloves?
"Oh, he shouldn't need them!" I was told by my Boss.
I asked the boy if he had ever climbed a pole, he said no, apparently he was scared of hieghts.
He was then told to {quote}"For Christ sakes Toughen Up Lad!"{end quote} by my Boss.
Personally I have no time for Dinosaurs like this guy!.
Up-shot of it all, it descended into a really nasty argument and I went home, got my car, unloaded my tools out of my van and said see ya later!.
I will not be talked down to, by a guy that has never done any HV work.
Also, how would it look for me if young Lee or me had been killed through not wearing the correct PPE?.
Also, the young fella, wasn't doing a Line Mechanics Apprenticeship, he should not be anywhere near a pole, regardless of wether I am supervising him or not.
I left with my dignity!. [Linked Image]

Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
#150069 08/31/04 02:11 PM
C
You did the right thing Mike. There have been times in the past where I felt like doing the same thing (although the voltage was far less than 22kv)!

I now feel more emboldened than ever to do so!

Peter

Peter
#150070 08/31/04 05:51 PM
C
Trumpy, sorry to hear you are out of work. That said I agree with what you did. It is better to leave with your dignity than to allowed anything to have happened to the young lad. Your x boss is certainly not wroth working for. I have always loved how the untrained can tell us how easy something is to do. I hope you find a better job soon. If you were in the USA your the type of man I would want working with me.

Al

#150071 08/31/04 06:08 PM
T
twh Offline
A change can be nice. Good Luck!

#150072 08/31/04 07:06 PM
Trumpy Offline OP
Peter, Al and twh,
Thanks for the kind words.
I expected something like don't be a darned fool!.
But having thought about it for a minute, I suppose I'm sort of right.
But, the only saving grace out of this whole thing is, I've just been on the phone to the Chief Liney at the local PoCo and I will be starting on Monday as a fulltime LV/HV Faultsman and also assisting Line Crews in Live Glove And Barrier work when required.
Sure I'm probably not going to a lot of Resi and Commercial work, but hey, I can't live on fresh air!. [Linked Image]
I suppose I've come full-circle really, from where I started out!.

{Blast, spelling mistakes!}

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 08-31-2004).]

#150073 08/31/04 07:54 PM
C
Trumpy, congratulations on the new job. Sounds like a better place for you. The other guys loss.
Al

#150074 08/31/04 07:58 PM
T
twh Offline
I expected something like don't be a darned fool!.
I figured it was too late for that, and you wouldn't have quit if you didn't want a change. I sure you can think of different ways to handle it, next time, if you want to keep the job.

#150075 09/01/04 09:25 AM
B
Congrats on the new job. I think that you did the right thing.

Think about it. If that apprentice had fried himself with you as his supervisor, when the investigation was over it would be your butt in a sling - not the boss's. (They have a funny way of getting amnisia about details when bad things happen.)

Better that you didn't compromise yourself. That apprentice will remember that for a long time. Heck, it may just save his life someday.

Kudos

#150076 09/02/04 08:28 PM
D
I agree with Ed... the boss would have made an excuse that put you on the stand, not him.

I told him 'the kid's just a non-line apprentice', but Mike said don't worry...if only I'd known... boo hoo(crocodile tears)

Good on ya, Mike.

#150077 09/07/04 07:25 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Big Ed,
They have a funny way of getting amnisia about details when bad things happen.
Yes I agree, even the smallest things at work used to cause a sudden rush of blood to the head and instant total non-recall.
But, at the same time, I don't want to burn my bridges there, because I still have to pull HV and LV fuses for their Electricians and that means going into the shop to get the dreaded Order Number, for services rendered.
The guy is due to retire, but at least my Faults Boss and the other Faultsmen didn't do their time during the time of the Crystal Set and the Screwdriver and wet-finger toolbox.
At least I have guys around me that back me up now and we have a real training system too!.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard