ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#14996 - 10/05/02 05:34 PM Typical Application for Electrical Contractor's License
Joe Tedesco Offline
Registered: 10/07/00
Posts: 2749
Loc: Boston, Massachusetts USA
Typical Requirements. Are they the same or similiar in the USA?

Electrical Contractor's License

You need a license to do electrical work in New Jersey.

To apply for an electrical contractor's license, contact:

Board of Examiners of Electrical Contractors
124 Halsey St., 6th Floor
P.O. Box 45006
Newark, NJ 07101
(973) 504-6410

The Board does require you to pass an exam to get a license.

To take the exam you must be over the age of 21, have a high school diploma or equivalent, and one of the following:

* five years experience working with tools to install, alter or repair electrical wiring for light, heat or power
* completion of a four-year Board-approved apprenticeship program and one year of Board-approved work experience
* completion of 8,000 hours of experience working with tools to install, alter or repair electrical wiring for light, heat or power and 576 hours related classroom instruction
* a bachelor's degree in electrical engineering and two years of Board-approved work experience

The Board will review your application and if you're eligible they'll send you information on the exam they require.
Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades
#14997 - 10/06/02 06:09 PM Re: Typical Application for Electrical Contractor's License
The Watt Doctor Offline
Registered: 12/23/01
Posts: 435
Loc: Mont Belvieu, TX
In Houston, as far as I know, you don't have to have any of those to be a conctractor. You do however, have to have a Master Electrician working for your company, and he (or she) has to meet standards that are simular to those listed above.

Wattological Regards,
The Watt Doctor
Altura Cogen
Channelview, TX
#14998 - 10/06/02 07:10 PM Re: Typical Application for Electrical Contractor's License
harold endean Offline
Registered: 02/16/02
Posts: 2233
Loc: Boonton, NJ

Also in NJ you have to pass a written test which takes about 6 -8 hours to complete. ( At least that is what I heard.) When I took the test back in 1984 it was 4 hours. @-hours open book and 2 hrs -closed book. There are several parts to the test, NEC rules, Fire alarm rules, and NJ law. When I have to go every 3 years to renew my contractors lic. I need 10 hours of CU's and 1 of those hrs. are on NJ law. The State alwasy keeps chaning their rules so they want the contractors to keep up with the new rules and regs.

#14999 - 10/07/02 12:26 PM Re: Typical Application for Electrical Contractor's License
Pearlfish Offline
Registered: 09/12/02
Posts: 83
Loc: Chicago Ridge, Il, USA
Here are the Chicago requirements.

Dear Applicant:
Enclosed is an application for the Supervising Electrician’s license
examination. To process the application, the following must be provided:
An original letter on the company stationary of a licensed electrical
contractor employer (or past employer), verifying that you have a minimum
of two (2) cumulative years experience in the installation maintenance or
alteration of building wiring systems, relating to your category of the
Supervising Electrician’s examination. The dates of your employment must
be included and signed by a licensed electrician.
If your work experience is limited to a State, County, or local jurisdiction,
which does NOT require licensing and/or registration of electrical
contractors, or electrical wiring permits, provide a letter of verification
from that jurisdiction along with a detailed, chronological history of your
work experience.
The application must be completely filled out and NOTARIZED.
The examination fee is $70.00, check or money order made payable to the
Chicago Department of Revenue.
Please forward the information to:
Department of Buildings
Bureau of Licensing & Registration
City Hall-Room 104
121 N. LaSalle Street
Chicago, IL 60602
If you need further assistance, please contact our office at (312) 744-3895.
Andrew L. Tomlin
Director of Licensing & Registration
#15000 - 10/07/02 03:26 PM Re: Typical Application for Electrical Contractor's License
HotLine1 Offline

Registered: 04/03/02
Posts: 6775
Loc: Brick, NJ USA
A quick clarification to the NJ info.
A person needs an Electrical Contractor License (the equal to a "Masters" in other areas probably) THe requirements were spelled out above.
In order to do electrical contracting in NJ, you need a Business Permit. The individual with the EC License then applies for a Business Permit, which is your ticket to work. A licensed EC must either own, be a principal, of the company named in the business permit. Joint ventures; all parties on the BP must have EC Licenses. If the EC dies, retires, or quits, the company cannot continue operations past a "reasonable time". A Licensed EC can only operate one (1) business, and must be "active". The license number is the persons "for life"; the license number and the BP number are the same; if you change business name, thy add an "A", "B" etc., behind the number.
Ie: Mine is 8209, my BP is 8209-A (Changed structure of business from sole proprietor to "LLC".)
There's a lot more detail, but that should be the core info.

Member Spotlight
Member Since: 01/22/05
Posts: 5316
New in the Gallery:
SE cable question

2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 54 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
New in the Gallery:
SE cable question
Top Posters (30 Days)
Admin 51
HotLine1 43
gfretwell 17
Trumpy 16
Ruben Rocha 13
Newest Members
clee512, Jdscott2005, FAIZAN, Regitest2, sureshazhagai

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals