Electrical Contractor's License
You need a license to do electrical work in New Jersey.
To apply for an electrical contractor's license, contact:
Board of Examiners of Electrical Contractors
124 Halsey St., 6th Floor
P.O. Box 45006
Newark, NJ 07101
(973) 504-6410 http://wnjpin2.dol.state.nj.us/wnjpin/html/l_top.htm
The Board does require you to pass an exam to get a license.
To take the exam you must be over the age of 21, have a high school diploma or equivalent, and one of the following:
* five years experience working with tools to install, alter or repair electrical wiring for light, heat or power
* completion of a four-year Board-approved apprenticeship program and one year of Board-approved work experience
* completion of 8,000 hours of experience working with tools to install, alter or repair electrical wiring for light, heat or power and 576 hours related classroom instruction
* a bachelor's degree in electrical engineering and two years of Board-approved work experience
The Board will review your application and if you're eligible they'll send you information on the exam they require.