ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 265 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
From the NFPA http://www.nfpa.org NFC GLOSSARY

"Emergency Incident. A specific emergency operation.

Emergency Medical Care. The provision of treatment to patients, including first aid, cardiopulmonary resuscitation, basic life support ( First Responder or EMT level), advanced life support (Paramedic level), and other medical procedures that occur prior to arrival at a hospital or other health care facility.

Emergency Medical Face Protection Device. An element of emergency medical protective clothing that meets all applicable requirements of this standard. Such devices are designed to provide a minimum level of protection to the face, are configured to cover part or all of the wearer's face or head, and included, but are not limited to, splash-resistant eyewear, hooded visors, and masks. (See also Emergency Medical Protective Clothing.)

Emergency Medical Garment. An element of emergency medical protective clothing that can be a single garment or an assembly of multiple garments, and that meets all applicable requirements of this standard. Such garments are designed and configured to cover any part of the wearer's skin, excluding the hands and face. Such garments include, but are not limited to, full body clothing such as suits, coveralls, and patient/victim isolation bags; and non-full body clothing such as aprons and sleeve protectors. (See also Emergency Medical Protective Clothing.)

Emergency Medical Glove. A sinlge-use element of emergency medical protective clothing that meets all applicable requirements of this standard and is designed and configured to cover the wearer's hand to at least the wrist. (See also Emergency Medical Protective Clothing.)

Emergency Medical Operation. Delivery of emergency medical care and transportation prior to arrival at a hospital or other health care facility.

Emergency Medical Operations. Delivery of emergency patient care and transportation prior to arrival at a hospital or other health care facility.

Emergency Medical Protective Clothing. Multiple elements, including garments, gloves, and face protection devices, designed for the purpose of isolated parts of the wearer's body from contact with liquid-borne pathogens during delivery of emergency patient care and other emergency medical operations.

Emergency Medical Service (EMS). The organization(s) responsible for the care and transport of sick and injured persons to an appropriate emergency care facility. Referred to as Emergency Services in U.S. federal confined space regulations.

Emergency Medical Services. The provision of treatment-such as first aid, cardiopulmonary resuscitation, basic life support, advanced life support, advanced life support, and other pre-hospital including ambulance transportation-to patients.

Emergency Medical Technician (EMT). A person trained to administer emergency medical treatment more advanced than basic first aid.

Emergency Operations. Activities of the fire department relating to rescue, fire suppression, emergency medical care, and special operations, including response to the scene of the incident and all functions performed at the scene.

Emergency Operations Center. A fixed, designated area to be used in supporting and coordinating operations during emergencies.

Emergency Patient Care. The provision of treatment to patients, including first aid, cardiopulmonary resuscitation, basic life support, advanced life support, and other medical procedures that occur prior to arrival at a hospital or other health care facility.

Emergency Power Supply (EPS). A complete functioning system of an EPS coupled to a system that can consist of conductors, disconnecting means, and overcurrent protective devices, transfer switches, and all control, supervisory, and support devices up to and including the load terminals of the transfer equipment needed for the system to operate as a safe and reliable source of electric power.

Emergency Preparedness. The act of developing procedures and plans to create effective preparedness, mitigation, response, and recovery during a disaster affecting a health care facility.

Emergency Procedures Plan. A plan that is developed by the authority with the cooperation of all participating agencies and that details specific actions required by all those who will respond during an emergency.

Emergency Relief Venting. An opening, construction method, or device that will automatically relieve excessive internal pressure due to an exposure fire.

Emergency Rescue Vehicle. A vehicle, not designed for patient transport, that contains advanced life support equipment and personnel capable of providing extrication and emergency care at the scene or in conjunction with transport.

Emergency Response Agency (ERA). An organization that provides law enforcement, rescue, fire suppression, emergency medical, disaster assistance, and related activities; includes any public, governmental, private, industrial, or military organization engaging in such activity.

Emergency Response Facility (ERF). A structure or a portion of a structure that houses emergency response agency equipment or personnel for response to alarms, such as a fire station, police station, ambulance station, rescue station, ranger station, and similar facilities.

Emergency Response Personnel. Personnel assigned to organizations that have the responsibility for responding to hazardous materials emergencies.

Emergency Response Personnel (ERP). Personnel who respond to fire, emergency medical, and other emergency situations for the preservation of life and property.

Emergency Response Plan. A plan developed by an agency, with the cooperation of all participating agencies, that details specific actions to be performed by all personnel who are expected to respond during an emergency.

Emergency Response Vehicle. Any motorized vehicle designated by an organization or agency to respond to emergency incidents where provisions have been made to include warning systems and specialized components such as pumps, aerial devices, and rescue equipment and that is capable of transporting emergency response personnel.

Emergency Service Organization (ESO). Any public, private, governmental, or military organization that provides emergency response, fire suppression, and related activities, whether for profit or government owned and operated.

Emergency Services. An organization that responds to emergency incidents to provide direct or support services."

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Joe,
Coming from a Firefighting/Medical Technician background,I find this rather strange, how there are all these terms that just confuse everybody.
To save paper over here, I am called simply a Senior FireFighter,even though my skills are very useful at vehicle accidents,
certain medical emergencies, I do not want to be given a title that alienates me from my work,which I do voluntarily. [Linked Image]

Trumpy:

The NFPA, National Fire Protection Association publishes over 450 codes, documents, manuals, and recommended practices and the terms that are used are defined in most of their publications.

Have you been involved in electrically related incidents?

I expect that sparky will come aboard here and comments on this subject since he has also been inolved as an EMT for quite some time.

I give all of you credit for your work along these lines.

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
S
Hi Joe.
I suspect there are many here who also double as FF's & EMS. [Linked Image]

as to 'lectrical' related incidents, in my area, i can recall more on the side of ligtning vs. stubborn golfers than tradespeople.
[Linked Image]

what 'constitutes an emergency' is also a bone of contention for anyone that bills medicare in EMS.

inasmuch as the patient can refuse EMS, EMS cannot refuse the patient, so if it turns out that gramps simply has gas,or granny wants someone to hold her hand we do it, then we get a refusal of payment from medicare.......

i'm sure others can comment here. [Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard