The Electrical Contractor Network

ECN Electrical Forum
Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals

Books, Tools and Test Equipment for Electrical and Construction Trades

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#148765 - 04/29/03 10:58 AM Electrician suffers burns in accident at refinery
SAFTENG Offline
Member
Registered: 09/04/01
Posts: 142
Loc: Cincinnati, OH, USA
Electrician suffers burns in accident at refinery
By PHIL HERMANEK Peninsula Clarion
A Kenai man was in satisfactory condition at the Harborview Medical Center in Seattle Monday where he was taken after being burned in an industrial accident Saturday. David Ramsey, a Tesoro electrician, suffered second- and third-degree burns to his right arm while doing electrical maintenance work at the company's Nikiski refinery Saturday morning. Ramsey was performing turnaround maintenance work on electrical switch gear that had been de-energized, according to refinery manager Rodney Cason. Dust from the cleaning procedure, however, apparently flashed when it came into contact with a nearby switch that still had electricity going to it. Ramsey, who was wearing leather gloves and fire retardant clothing, suffered second-degree burns to his forearm and third-degree burns to his elbow through the protective clothing. He was given immediate first-aid care at the scene and taken by Nikiski Fire Department ambulance to Central Peninsula General Hospital. From there, he was flown to the Burn Care and Plastic Surgery Clinic of Harborview for additional care. Cason said he spoke to Ramsey Monday and the Tesoro employee "is doing really well." "He said he wants to get back and get golfing," Cason said.
Top
Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
#148766 - 04/30/03 11:18 PM Re: Electrician suffers burns in accident at refinery
Trumpy Offline


Member
Registered: 07/05/02
Posts: 8560
Loc: SI,New Zealand
Bryan,
It would make you wonder about the integrity of the Safety Clothing, that the victim was wearing at the time of the accident, considering that he recieved such severe burns with it on?.
Dust explosions can be nasty at the best of times, we had a flour mill flattened about 5 years ago, due to a wrong type of motor being installed below one of the main hoppers.

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 05-12-2003).]
_________________________
Let's face it, these days if you're not young, you're old - Red Green grin
Top

Featured:

2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Shout Box

Recent Posts
Looking for older post
by sparkyinak
01/23/17 12:27 AM
License exam
by TRUE POWER
01/22/17 11:33 PM
Members: Non-Members: Did you know?
by Admin
01/22/17 02:34 PM
Safety at heights?
by HotLine1
01/21/17 08:51 PM
International Wire Colour Codes
by Texas_Ranger
01/21/17 03:29 PM

Who's Online
2 registered (Admin, sparkyinak), 82 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
New in the Gallery:
Desk-mounted "power-board"
Top Posters
gfretwell 9066
Trumpy 8560
pauluk 7693
HotLine1 6833
sparky 5545
Member Spotlight
Tom
Tom
Member Since: 01/01/01
Posts: 1069

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals