By GREG McLEAN
A DARWIN man has been electrocuted after touching live power lines while gardening in his front yard.
The 45-year-old Ludmilla man was cutting down 8m-tall Carpentaria palms in his yard about 3pm on Sunday when one of the branches came crashing down on nearby overhead powerlines.
It is believed the father-of-five was electrocuted when he somehow touched the powerline while trying to remove the palm.
His family was on the scene immediately to raise the alarm and tried to resuscitate him.
Paramedics arrived quickly as PowerWater technicians safely secured the downed powerline.
A neighbour, who is a doctor, and paramedics administered CPR.
Despite their frantic efforts, the man could not be revived and he was rushed to Royal Darwin Hospital.
Doctors at the hospital continued to try and resuscitate the man but he was pronounced dead about 4pm on Sunday.
An autopsy was conducted yesterday and the provisional cause of death was found to be electrocution.
NT Police will now prepare a file for the Coroner.
The man was a popular member of the Darwin Runners and Walkers Club.
Lindy Bower, a club spokeswoman, said all members felt for the close-knit family.
"They're a lovely family who are very committed to their sport," she said.
"Our hearts go out to them for their loss in what can only be described as a freak accident."
Club members are organising a fundraiser to help the family.
The family requested the man's name not be released. http://www.ntnews.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,7034,20950095%255E13569,00.html