ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#148323 - 07/02/04 02:52 PM Should Home Inspectors be Removing Panel Covers?
Joe Tedesco Offline
Loc: Boston, Massachusetts USA
I believe some will agree with me because I believe that a "Home Inspector" who has not received "electrical safety training on the hazards involved" should not be considered as a "Qualified Person" and should not remove the electrical equipment panel covers during their inspections!

This is a job for an electrician!

I am again interested in the safety of those who may have some concerns, and may be a bit afraid of the subject of electricity!
www.joetedesco.com/flash.AVI

Quote:
Qualified Person. One who has skills and knowledge related to the construction and operation of the electrical equipment and installations and has received safety training on the hazards involved.
#148324 - 07/02/04 03:34 PM Re: Should Home Inspectors be Removing Panel Covers?
pauluk Offline
Loc: Norfolk, England
I'm not sure if this really answers the question, but I'd say that if the home inspector does not have sufficient knowledge and training to be trusted to remove a panel cover in safety, then I'd say he doesn't have enough knowledge to be making a report on the condition of the wiring either.
#148325 - 07/03/04 08:38 AM Re: Should Home Inspectors be Removing Panel Covers?
Joe Tedesco Offline
Loc: Boston, Massachusetts USA
• Most non-qualified home inspectors don’t realize that there are two hazards associated with electricity: electrical shock, which can shut down breathing and heart function even at very low levels; and, the risk of severe burns due to electrical arcing and arc blasts.

• In order for a home inspector to be considered as a qualified person to inspect ANY electrical system, a home inspector must learn how to protect themselves from both shock and burn hazards through the use of safe electrical work practices.
#148326 - 07/03/04 05:16 PM Re: Should Home Inspectors be Removing Panel Covers?
Bjarney Offline
Loc: West-Southern Inner-Northeast ...
That could have been the origin of iwire’s discovery…

Member Spotlight
New in the Gallery:
SE cable question
Featured:

2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 65 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod

New in the Gallery:
SE cable question

Top Posters (30 Days)
Admin 47
HotLine1 43
gfretwell 19
Ruben Rocha 12
Trumpy 9

Newest Members
Scotto, Freecrowder, clee512, Jdscott2005, FAIZAN

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals