The Electrical Contractor Network

ECN Electrical Forum
Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals

Books, Tools and Test Equipment for Electrical and Construction Trades

Register Now!

Register Now!

We want your input!

Featured:
   

2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

   
Recent Posts
Calling all Non-US members!! (Non-US only)
by aussie240
Today at 02:39 AM
Photo Upload Tutorial
by DanK
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Sprinklered equipment 26-008
by bigpapa
12/02/16 04:24 PM
On Delay Relay with Auto Reset
by Potseal
12/01/16 09:59 AM
Wow, that was close!
by jraef
11/28/16 07:06 PM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm˛ flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
gfretwell 13
HotLine1 9
Texas_Ranger 8
sparkyinak 7
Trumpy 6
Who's Online
0 registered (), 100 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#147754 - 01/22/03 08:56 PM CPSC and FEMA warn about using Generators indoors
Webmaster Offline

Administrator
Member

Registered: 10/07/00
Posts: 3142
Loc: NY, USA
CPSC and FEMA Warn: When A Storm Knocks Out Power, Don't Risk Carbon Monoxide Poisoning by Using Gasoline-Powered Generators Indoors
 Quote:
WASHINGTON, D.C. - When disaster strikes and the power goes out, many Americans turn to their gas-powered generators for heat and electricity. But when they set up those generators inside, a second disaster may strike - carbon monoxide poisoning.

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) and the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) have joined forces to warn residents not to use gasoline-powered generators or charcoal grills indoors or in attached garages because of the risk of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning. "If you want to use a gasoline-powered generator when the power goes out, set it up outside in a dry area, away from air intakes to the home," said CPSC Chairman Hal Stratton. "And never use a charcoal grill inside because you risk being poisoned by deadly carbon monoxide. Opening doors and windows or operating fans to ventilate is inadequate and unsafe. Even with a CO alarm, you should never use a gasoline- powered generator or a charcoal grill inside. "
Click >> more info

Also see: Portable Generators: How to use them safely!

Top
Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
#147755 - 01/25/03 05:04 PM Re: CPSC and FEMA warn about using Generators indoors
sparky Offline
Member

Registered: 10/18/00
Posts: 5545
this is a big one, and should apply to any trapped gasses in any form (no,not flatulence)

Carbon monoxide will also back up if there's enough snow on your roof and/or vent. One would think it to melt away, but not always so....

Sewer vents also back up this way. There was a home near Stratton that literally blew up last week.

Methane is suspect.....

Top



ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals