ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 268 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
How many licensed EC's take out electrical permits for electrical work that is required by their jurisdiction?

I am sure there will be situations where a permit is not required, and certain electrical work can be done by ?????

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
S
yes Joe,
I take them out on anything applicable here .
I've had some returned due to recent changes that made a permit unapplicable. [Linked Image] , they no longer do anything but 'complex structures'...
I figure, maybe ideally, the ????'s will be weeded out....

This probably sounds odd to those who have to deal with an overabundance of bureaucracy, but go without....and you'll be happy to have some critique along with some backup.

[This message has been edited by sparky (edited 12-29-2002).]

Vermont FAQ's

Q. When is a permit needed?

Any electrical installation other than a single family owner occupied home, farms with less than 10 employees, or home businesses with less than three employees.

Q. Do I need a licensed electrician to wire my duplex?

A. No, however the person performing the work must obtain an electrical work notice and the installation must be inspected by Labor & Industry.

Q. If I am wiring an existing building, am I responsible for pre-existing wiring? Will I be responsible for replacing or repairing problems that were there before I came along?

A. No, you are not responsible for existing conditions, however, as a professional you should bring unsafe conditions to the attention of the owner as well as the electrical inspector. Existing conditions that create an imminent hazard will be written to the owner as an existing violation with a reasonable amount of time issued to correct the problem(s) depending on the degree of hazard.

Q. As a licensed electrician, if wiring a single family, owner-occupied home, do I have to follow the National Electrical Code?

A. Yes. The fact that structures of this type are not inspected and do not require permits does not relieve you of the responsibility of performing your work and installation of the electrical system in a safe and professional manner.

Q. If XYZ Electric has an electrical permit on a job and leaves before completion, do I have to pull a permit too?

A. Yes. You will only be responsible fore the work performed by you. The previous contractor must call for an inspection of their work up to the time of separation.

Q. What is maintenance?

A. Anything that is new, such as receptacle outlets, installing a new light, replacing with a different type, etc., requires a permit. Replacing a broken receptacle or replacing a ballast would be maintenance.

Q. Where are supplemental ground connections made -- at the meter socket or at the first disconnecting means?

The code allows connection at either point, but most of the utilities want them at the meter pak.

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
S
good catch Joe.

know that there are legal 'holes' all thru this here....

P
No such thing as an electrical permit in the U.K.

It's pretty much a free-for-all where anyone who wants to do some wiring just goes ahead and does it -- No permit, no inspections, and in many cases, no common sense either.

Joe:
NJ requirements (from my memory, as the "Blue Book" is in my truck, and it's pouring rain)

Permit required for all electrical work excluding minor repairs.
Homeowner can do electrical work in a single family home providing he/she is owner of record, and resides at that home.
Single family rentals, multi family, commercial, industrial, all require a lic. EC
(and permits)

EC's are required to obtain permits prior to starting any work, excluding "emergency"; which requires verbal notification of the Building Dept, and the permit application within 48-72 hrs.

That's basically the rules; as to a direct answer to your question; most EC's;>85%

The handyman guys can't get a permit, and with the homeowners, it's probably <50% who apply for permits.
John

John
Joe,
Over here in NZ, we abandoned this in 1991.
I wish that we hadn't, it was a lot easier system to work with, less paper-work, less time wasted, and the Power board Inspector wore the can for any faults after the tests were done.
Now we have a system of, who is the next sparkie we can hang?, for not doing the right paperwork, testing, etc.
It's a Killer!. [Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard