ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#147485 - 10/24/02 10:40 AM Forcing Motor Starter Contactors by Hand?
ROCKPORT Offline
My coworker says it is OK to force a motor starter contactor by hand when troubleshooting or bumping for motor rotation. He says he ohms to ground with Fluke then uses handtool to depress contactor. I say he could loose a hand this way. I would rather troubleshoot the control circuit as to why I can't control remotely. Please let us know your opinions and experiences.
Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
#147486 - 10/24/02 06:58 PM Re: Forcing Motor Starter Contactors by Hand?
golf junkie Offline
Loc: York, NE
I do it all the time with small motors, less than 20 hp. I can't see a senario where I could potentially "loose a hand".

The biggest danger is to the equipment. If the contactor is not fully closed arcing can quickly damage the starter.

GJ
#147487 - 10/25/02 08:54 AM Re: Forcing Motor Starter Contactors by Hand?
Redsy Offline
Loc: Bucks County PA
We have entered a new age with regard to electrical safety. Many old practices are no longer considered acceptable. The dangers of arc-flash & blast are coming to the forefront with electrocution.
The practice you describe would not be accepted in a corprate environment where there was a formal electrical safety program.
I imagine the unions would frown upon it as well.
#147488 - 10/25/02 07:32 PM Re: Forcing Motor Starter Contactors by Hand?
Bjarney Offline
Loc: West-Southern Inner-Northeast ...
Don't forget that plain-vanilla 3-wire control will "latch." If this happens and an upstream disconnet has to be opened, motor regeneration will ususally cause sluggish dropout of contactor.

[This message has been edited by Bjarney (edited 10-26-2002).]

Member Spotlight
New in the Gallery:
SE cable question
Featured:

2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 45 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod

New in the Gallery:
SE cable question

Top Posters (30 Days)
Admin 47
HotLine1 43
gfretwell 19
Ruben Rocha 12
Trumpy 9

Newest Members
Scotto, Freecrowder, clee512, Jdscott2005, FAIZAN

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals