WASHINGTON, D.C.- In cooperation with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), Value City Department Stores Inc./Schottenstein Stores, of Columbus, Ohio, is recalling about 10,800 Red Devil gas grills sold at Value City and Schottenstein stores.
The product's design allows consumers to light the grill at an air intake tube, instead of at the burner. Though the grill appears to function normally, gas inside the air intake tube ignites. The tube can reach temperatures of up to 750 degrees Fahrenheit and present a burn hazard to consumers. In grills manufactured before August 1998, the heat produced by lighting the grill at the air intake tube damaged the plastic support piece, and caused the grill to fall to the ground. When it collapses, flames from the grill can burn nearby consumers and ignite surrounding combustibles.
There have been 44 reports of consumers suffering burns to legs, hands and fingers, including reports of some third degree burns, after the grills collapsed during use. More than 1,000 consumers returned their grills to the manufacturers because the grills collapsed. There has been one incident reported by Value City and Schottenstein Stores customers.
Click >> more info