Golden Gate man electrocuted at Bonita construction site

Saturday, March 9, 2002, By MARY KELLI BRIDGES

A 35-year-old Golden Gate man was killed Friday morning when he was electrocuted while working on a house under construction in Bonita Springs. Larry "Neal" Jones, 3173 S.W. 53rd Ave., was working for Premier Electric of North Naples on a junction box on the side of a house at the corner of Tarpon Street and Bayview Drive when he touched a live wire, said his boss Robert Forbis, owner of the company. The accident happened at about 10:45 a.m. Jones was taken to NCH North Collier hospital, where he was pronounced dead soon after, according to the Lee County Sheriff's Office. "This guy was really a hard-working guy, just really motivated," Forbis said. Forbis said Jones' supervisor was on his way to the other side of the house to turn off the main breaker for the electricity so Jones could work on the junction box when it happened. Forbis said Jones started working before the energy to the house was cut off. The Sheriff's Office Major Crimes Unit was called to the scene to investigate Friday morning. The results of that investigation weren't complete later in the day. Forbis said he doesn't think houses still under construction should have electricity already hooked up. He said it's a rule that should be changed to the way it was done in the past, when electricians used temporary power poles in front of the homes to plug in cords. "It was just a matter of time before someone got killed," Forbis said. "This law needs to be changed today before someone gets hurt Monday." Forbis said Jones had worked for his company for 1= years. Forbis said this is the first time in the history of his company, which started in 1988, that someone was killed or seriously injured.

Courtesy: www.Safteng.net