Man burned, may be tied to power outage
Published February 12, 2002
NORTHWEST SIDE -- Electrical power was knocked out for about 2,500 Northwest Side customers late Monday night after a man was apparently shocked in the basement of Madonna High School. The unidentified man was listed in critical condition with third-degree burns at Illinois Masonic Medical Center, a nursing supervisor said. At around 11:15 p.m., power went out in an area from Diversey to Cornelia Avenues, between Kenneth and Central Park Avenues, said ComEd spokeswoman Meg Amato. Minutes later, Chicago police officers saw the man wandering near Belmont and Karlov Avenues, near the school. Amato said the man was likely shocked inside the school's electrical vault. The doors to the vault had been forced open, Amato said. Power was restored to approximately half the area before midnight, and crews were working to restore power to the remaining customers.