2 hospitalized after apparent power-line shock near Lauderdale
sun-sentinel.com, Posted January 30 2002, 2:30 PM EST
A worker helping install a 720,000-volt power feeder line along Cypress Creek Road was rushed to a hospital Wednesday afternoon after suffering some sort of electric shock, firefighters said.
The Florida Power & Light ground-crew worker, who was not immediately identified, was taken to North Ridge Medical Center shortly after 1 p.m. after collapsing at the work site at Northeast Sixth Avenue and 61st Court near Fort Lauderdale, Todd LeDuc, Broward Fire Rescue spokesman, said.
Another FP&L worker, who was in his mid-30â€™s, also was taken to North Ridge after complaining of numbness and tingling to his body. Both men had been using shovels at the work site, Le Duc said.
Condition reports on both men were not immediately available.
Le Duc said the incident occurred near a Westin hotel where work on the power feeder was under way. A crane with a 60-foot boom may have hit the power line and caused the jolt that shocked both men, LeDuc said.
â€śIt appears there was some kind of significant electrical injuryâ€ť to at least one of the men, LeDuc said.
It also illustrates the dangers of working near power lines â€“ even if youâ€™re a pro â€“ he said.