Coeur d'Alene man electrocuted
A Coeur d'Alene reserve police officer was electrocuted Friday afternoon at a residence in Hayden, Idaho, as he was removing Christmas lights from a tree, authorities said.
Jim Johnson was on a metal ladder and removing lights from an outdoor tree when either he or the lights touched a high-power line overhead, killing him, said Lt. Brad Belmont with the Northern Lakes Fire Department.
Avista crews shut off the line so rescue crews could get to Johnson. Approximately 800 customers were without power for about 30 minutes, according to Avista spokesperson Robyn Dunlap.
Johnson was taken to Kootenai Medical Center.
For more electrical accidents, visit Incident Alert Archives at www.SAFTENG.net