by Potseal
12/01/16 09:59 AM
Wow, that was close!
by jraef
11/28/16 07:06 PM
Earthquake in New Zeeland
by RODALCO
11/27/16 11:25 PM
Calling all Non-US members!! (Non-US only)
by Tjia1981
11/27/16 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
gfretwell 13
HotLine1 9
Texas_Ranger 8
sparkyinak 7
Trumpy 6
Who's Online
1 registered (geoff in UK), 133 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#146814 - 08/11/01 05:53 PM July Articles
Webmaster Offline

Administrator

Loc: NY, USA
In case anyone is interested there are 2 Articles of mine that appeared in July CEE News. I've posted them here on the site. Comments are welcome.

If you Build it ...
 Quote:
Sooner or later it's likely to happen: Your business will be on the Web. When it happens will vary, depending on your situation and your ability to resist change. It may be after the new customers from your telephone book ad start to dwindle or it could be when you decide to keep up with your new competition.

It pays to speak your mind ..
 Quote:
Contractors who do any remodeling work or make service calls may have customers who ask “Is it safe? …What will happen?” How they answer could be the deciding factor in convincing the customer to “do it right.”

Bill

#146815 - 08/12/01 03:32 PM Re: July Articles
sparky Offline

Bill;
both articles pose inarguable points that are food for thought.

#146816 - 08/12/01 04:12 PM Re: July Articles
Bill Addiss Offline

Sparky,

Thanks for the Feedback!

Bill

#146817 - 08/12/01 06:10 PM Re: July Articles
sparky66wv Offline

Loc: West Virginia
I've yet to receive my first customer who found out about me online... And my page comes up pretty high in a variety of searches in Google too...

I get alot of traffic from seach engine users, but I've had only one person that was even a potential customer and that didn't amount to anything.

I haven't given up on it, nor am I arguing your point, just warning that it hasn't quite happened yet... so don't get disappointed if your website doesn't bear fruit at all for the first year.

(There's always advertisements)

however, Bill, your site here is invaluable even if it hasn't made you a single penny.

I can't begin to explain all that I've learned here; information shared is the key to a websites true success in my opinion... ECN is a perfect example. I've learned from the experiences of twenty other electricians all while sharing my questions and what I have learned as well.

With my site, I would find much more satisfaction in knowing that someone noticed a red flag in their home and did something about it (like replacing 30A fuses with 15's on old #14 wire) than I would if I landed a gig from it.

I'm sure you feel the same way...

I haven't taken advantage of any other online tools (like True Advantage) that you offer other than the webpage, so my lack of customers from it can be explained from lack of use of the proper tools...

The truth about any form of advertising... the results are proportional to the expense...
Member IAEI

#146818 - 08/12/01 07:30 PM Re: July Articles
Bill Addiss Offline

'66,

I think that the effectiveness of the web as an advertising medium also depends on who your probable customers might be and their characteristics. In many more populated areas a large number of people may work with computers daily, be more comfortable with them and more likely to use them for more things. (Many people call from work during business hours)

I get several calls for work/estimates per week through the web. Although the response is no comparison to the Telephone Book Ads, the costs involved are but a small fraction of the Thousands that the printed ads cost. Work-wise, I have no complaints at all, it more than pays for itself.

I do, however get the occasional out-of-state service call request!

Bill

#146819 - 08/12/01 07:42 PM Re: July Articles
electure Offline

Loc: Fullerton, CA USA
This looks like a good place to put this (been waiting for a good opportunity)

I'd like to thank all of you for the help you've given, all the things I've learned, and all the "sparks" you've given me to start thinking in different ways, instead of my "locked in" type of thinking.(after all, my education has been school of hard knocks and reading the NEC every morning on the toilet for 30 yrs.)(
Bill's post said something that should ring true with all of us.
There's nobody that can change it but us!
I know I'm a ravin' maniac about safety, I'm a worst case scenario thinker.
Please spread the word as best as you can! Safety is the #1 issue... Never forget
& Thanks to all of you

#146820 - 08/12/01 08:11 PM Re: July Articles
sparky66wv Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Worst Case Scenario Thinker

Oh yeah, I can relate to that!

(Pardon my digression)

I've had GC's tell me that all they need from me is a little optimism for a change... That you can't plan for every disaster, and the rules can be bent...

I think the Worst Case Scenario mindset is a trade requisite, and was instilled in me from Mr. Hixson many years ago... Call it pessimism if they want...

(I once had a card in my wallet that said: "I'm a pessimist, in case of accident, I'm not surprised..." I have a better 'tude now though!)
Member IAEI

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals