Register Now!

Register Now!

We want your input!

Featured:

2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Recent Posts
Calling all Non-US members!! (Non-US only)
by aussie240
Today at 02:39 AM
Photo Upload Tutorial
by DanK
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Sprinklered equipment 26-008
by bigpapa
12/02/16 04:24 PM
On Delay Relay with Auto Reset
by Potseal
12/01/16 09:59 AM
Wow, that was close!
by jraef
11/28/16 07:06 PM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
gfretwell 13
HotLine1 9
Texas_Ranger 8
sparkyinak 7
Trumpy 6
Who's Online
0 registered (), 282 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#145857 - 07/28/06 06:33 AM Electric lake
C-H Offline

Loc: Stockholm, Sweden
In the tabloids today there is this story about a lake that went electric yesterday. It's in Örebro, a town in southern Sweden. Some recent wiring works appears to be have a ground fault. You would think that it would be pretty easy to shut down, but the sparkies working on it haven't yet tracked down the cause of the problem. The guy from the municipality who's in charge calms the public who are not discouraged from bathing: "It's not dangerous in any way. In that case it would have hurt. Many have experienced it as unpleasant"
"I didn't feel it despite swimming across the lake. But we do take it seriously."

Tabloid

Guys, would you tell the customers that a ground fault isn't dangerous as long as the shock is only unpleasant? "Call back when it hurts"

Test Equipment:

Large Selection of Test Equipment For Electrical, HVAC, Test & Measurement
Large Selection of Test Equipment For Electrical, HVAC, Test & Measurement

#145858 - 07/29/06 03:34 AM Re: Electric lake
pauluk Offline

Loc: Norfolk, England
Yikes!

You'd think that the authorities would be urging people to stay out of the lake until the fault is fixed.

Quote:
"Call back when it hurts"

If you're still alive.......

#145859 - 07/29/06 04:49 PM Re: Electric lake
Trumpy Offline

Loc: SI,New Zealand
C-H,
My understanding of a ground fault, would mean that the current would have been enough to trip the protection and clear any fault on the cable.
What sort of voltage does this cable carry?.
First thing I would be doing, is isolating the supply to the cable.

#145860 - 07/31/06 01:29 AM Re: Electric lake
C-H Offline

Loc: Stockholm, Sweden
I don't know what voltage it is, but assuming it is a distribution cable of some sort. If it's LV there is probably not much in the way of ground fault protection other than the fuses. It would have to leak several hundred amps before a fuse blows.

I think it is safe to say that something wasn't done the way it is supposed to, e.g. earthing of the cabinets, or some of those darn copper thieves have been at it. (Those are by the way a real danger. I had to call the train people a few weeks ago to inform them that thieves had stolen all the green and yellow cable from a station. Every metal pole and light was ungrounded!!! )

[This message has been edited by C-H (edited 07-31-2006).]

#145861 - 07/31/06 05:37 AM Re: Electric lake
pauluk Offline

Loc: Norfolk, England
 Quote:
I had to call the train people a few weeks ago to inform them that thieves had stolen all the green and yellow cable from a station.

Way back when I used to travel to school by train we had one day when the jounrey was very slow and then we sat outside the station for about an hour. We were then told that all the delays were due to somebody having stolen the signaling cables at Harpenden! That would have been somewhere around 1978.

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals