ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#145289 04/01/06 02:45 AM
D
Dapo Offline OP
Just a quick note.

The Draft for public comment on AS/NZS 3000 (wiring Rules) has been released and is available at......
http://www.standards.co.nz/web-shop...e=600&selStatus=DRAFT&catalog=NZ

Thanks a million Gray,
I'm sure that everyone down in this part of the world will be having a good look at these documents.
And I'd invite any comments from those having a look at them, no matter what country you come from.
Having a Draft Standard to look at, is the corner-stone of a democratic industry.
Your thoughts folks?.

I have had a look at Chapter 1 of the draft, but as for the others, I couldn't access them, will try later on. I'll put my 2 cents worth in when I've gone through the whole document.

Graham,
I'm not really for Standards as they are.
Warning: Rant Ahead! [Linked Image]
However, this version of AS/NZS 3000, looks like they might be getting thier act together.
Reason I say that is because, if you look at this document and all it's parts, there are new footnotes added and that to a degree is a bloody good thing.
You look at the 1976 NZ Electrical Wiring Regulations and almost every regulation has footnotes to it.
Now, what we are looking for (in both countries, I suppose) is guidance.
We don't want to be told how to do our jobs, but offer solutions to effect an end to a problem during a job.
Increased information is good, lack of information is bad and then tradesmen start to guess or just disregard the law altogether.
One thing I do like Graham is the increased amount of information on RCD's, the original release was sadly lacking in information.
This caused a lot of confusion in Industry here, where people thought that pushing the test button on an RCD was sufficient to verify the safe tripping of the device, without test instruments.
Hopefully this will finally wake a few people up!.
There is also reference to the Colour code changes in the UK, I really don't think from the way that the Standard is written, that we should explore that avenue, some Electricians can't even wire a 3-pin plug with 10 year old Regs, let alone a 3-phase one, with new ones.
I'm working through the Drafts, so this won't be my last post under this topic.
Unless I really wind Paul up and I get thrown out of ECN!. [Linked Image]

B
What do you think of the requirement for overload protection on consumer mains after all the years without it?
A good idea or unnecessary?

B
So has anyone bothered to read them??

Briselec,
Yes I downloaded the lot of the files and thoroughly read them all.
Do I get a choccy fish?. [Linked Image]
What do you think of the requirement for overload protection on consumer mains after all the years without it?
All the houses and so-forth on our Network locally here have either an HRC fuse link or a Porcelain rewireable [Linked Image] fuse protecting the Service line to the installation here.
(Note that this provides both overload and short-circuit protection)
I find it rather strange that you guys in Aussie would leave an important cable like this un-protected.
Each to thier own I suppose. [Linked Image]

B
Our installations also have service fuses but they are regarded as providing short circuit protection only.
If you change the size of a consumer mains, is the service fuse changed accordingly?

Link Copied to Clipboard