ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 267 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#145263 03/22/06 11:26 AM
R
robinm Offline OP
Hi,

I have recently moved to Ireland and was wondering if the Irish wiring regs were similar or the same as the British ones. I have a copy of the British regs, but do I need to fork out for a whole new set to use once to rewire a 1960's house? The house (in Dublin) seems to be wired with a TN-C-S system but with no earth supplied to the sockets. Is this normal? There was also a 3 phase supply at some point.

Cheers RObin

#145264 03/23/06 04:50 AM
K
Robin just "Fork Out" and buy the irish regs. How much does it cost?

No earths at the sockets!?!? [Linked Image] Please explain.

#145265 03/23/06 05:40 AM
R
robinm Offline OP
I've been pulling out some of the previous, very frightening, botches that were done and emerging from the wall at one of the original socket points are just L and N, as far as I can see no earth or metal conduit. Could have been originally part of a lighting circuit I suppose.

#145266 03/23/06 08:22 AM
P
Hi Robin,

Although Irish wiring is similar to British in some respects, there are some significant differences between the regs.

Dave (djk) is in the Irish Republic and is familiar with them. I expect he'll be along soon and be able to comment...... [Linked Image]

Regarding no earths at the sockets, it sounds as though somebody might have "been at it." I assume you're talking about BS1363 sockets, not Shucko or old BS546 2-pin types?

I understand that TN-C-S (PME) is the normal earthing arrangement throughout the RoI.

#145267 03/23/06 08:44 AM
R
robinm Offline OP
The original sockets are gone, but were probably very old round 2 pin type. There is a picture of one in the british regs.

Someone has then wired this system to square pin type with no earth.

I'll be interested to hear about the differences from djk before I start.

cheers

#145268 03/26/06 08:18 PM
D
djk Offline
Hi Robin,

To start go to www.etci.ie for the current regs. The documentation is available for a few euro-quid

You're probabally quite right in your assessment of the wiring in your home. Some bright DIY sparkie back in the 1970s probabally "upgraded" the old Euro-style outlets to BS1363 without installing earths. If the wiring dates from that far back, it would have had a mixture of schuko (grounded) and 2-pin ungrounded outlets. Could even have been a mix of 2-pin euro + BS546 15A !

The evidence of an old 3-phase supply is also due to our more European electrical heritage. Some areas would have been wired to cope with relatively low amperage single phase services. Anything >50A (and sometimes 20A) had to go 3-phase. So, larger homes certainly had 3-phase supplies. Different circuits would have been on different phases to balance the load.

Basically if you're wiring there are a few things to bare in mind that are different from the UK.

1) The European colour codes apply to all new wiring. Don't use black/red. It's been gone quite a long time.

2) Sockets generally sit on 20A radials rather than rings, although rings are permitted under the regs. RCDs are compulsary on ALL socket outlets <32Amps. (since 1981)

3) The panel / consumer unit MUST carry a master breaker or main fuse rated at the max rating for the panel. It's not permitted to connect the panel directly to the mains and rely on the supply fuse. This is usually a minized switch-fuse thesedays. Fits on a DIN rail occupying the same space as a normal breaker.

4) Cooker Control units (socket/switch combo) are illegal. You usually install a flush appropriately rated switch beside the cooker / hob and use normal double socket plates elsewhere. The reason is that the cooker circuit's not protected by an RCD.

5) The supply voltage isn't the same as the UK. It's all to European standards and always has been. You'll find your supply voltage sits at 220-230V rather than 230-250V as in the UK. The Republic of Ireland standardised on 220/380V 50Hz back in the early part of the 1900s. ESB worked pretty heavily with German suppliers : Siemens and AEG as well as ASEA of Sweden. So, AEG/Siemens standards were used quite heavily.

6) Again, due to the Northern European influence, you'll see a lot of screw-in Diazed fuses in older buildings rather than the UK-style rewirable wylex type.
Under no circumstances install a Wylex standard fuse setup from the UK. ESB will react very oddly and probabally refuse to connect the supply. (I've heard of this happening when a UK guy did DIY work in West Cork)

Other than that, pretty much wire as per the UK. It's well worth reading the ETCI wiring practice handbooks though. There are some substantial differences although, in general most things are quite familiar.

In terms of things like plugs/sockets/boxes/fittings ... everything's pretty much as per the UK.

---

If you're wiring telephone stuff, the system's more like the US/Canada. RJ11 is used and you need only use 2-wires between the eircom NTU (master socket) and the other extensions.

UK phones need to be connected using an adaptor that contains a ring-capacitor. You'll pick these up at any Irish branch of Argos and most DIY stores for a couple of quid. (also beware of weird BT pin assignments on RJ11 sockets... the line in Ireland (as per the normal RJ11 setup) is presented on the centre two pins.
Caller ID is also different - same as France/Germany .. MOST, but not all UK phones will understand it. Almost all US/Canadian phones have no problem whatsoever with it though.

TV:
Cable systems distribute analogue tv channels (usually up to about >16 free-to-air) on VHF, UHF and "hyperband". If you've an Irish tv, just bung the cable into the back of it and you'll have a range of channels in NICAM stereo.

RTE/TV3 and TG4 are broadcast in UHF in most places, although some hillier areas still carry RTE1/2 on VHF with Nicam stereo etc etc.

Digital TV is exclusively provided by cable operators NTL (no longer anything to do with UK NTL and Chorus ... soon to merge into UPC Ireland. This is available on Cable and using MMDS (multipoint microwave distribution system) i.e. via a small antenna on your roof.

Other than that, Sky Digital Ireland. Same as the UK line up except with Irish ads on the sky channels + RTE 1, 2, TV3 and TG4 in the 101,102,103 and 104 slots.. BBC NI is carried elsewhere in the EPG and ITV is manually tunable in.

--------------

The Irish regs are well worth a read anyway if you want to do things right and to code. Bare in mind, if you can't prove they were to code and your house burns down your insurance company can refuse to pay up!

Also, if major work is done the ESB may require a completion certificate.

----

It's also possible your house was built by 1960s cowboy builders / has suffered a series of horrendous DIY jobs.

I'd suggest ripping everything out and starting from scratch. It sounds like a right mess!

[This message has been edited by djk (edited 03-26-2006).]

#145269 03/28/06 04:16 AM
R
robinm Offline OP
Thanks djk for that extremely informative write up. I'm basically going to start from scratch. I've ordered the regs and most of the kit to do the rewiring (a little in advance I think after reading your piece).

I hadn't ordered a master circuit breaker although there is a master switch-fuse (screw in type) after the meter which I was going to leave in. I just need to check if this is double pole as it is not easy to see.
I had ordered a master 100mA RCD (in addition to a 30mA one for the sockets). But sounds like this is not the norm here.

Anyway, thanks again

Robin

#145270 03/28/06 10:31 AM
T
All the best wishes for your wiring project!

It would be real cool if you took a few pictures of the old stuff and post them here!

#145271 03/28/06 07:58 PM
D
djk Offline
Good luck with it!

The norm for Irish supplies is TN-C-S "Neutralised" to use the local lingo. You don't need a 100mA breaker across the entire supply with that type of earthing system. That's only used on a TT setup.

Also, don't attempt to convert a TT supply to TN-C-S without getting the ESB involved. It's taken pretty seriously and you can cause a major public safety hazzard if the local distribution system is TT.

Only one connection between earth and neutral is allowed. This is done BEFORE the meter and is carried out by the ESB Networks engineer who will energise / reenergise the supply.

Basically, leave your meter tails, including the main earth in the meter cabinet (entering through the bottom) ESB will do the rest.

On a personal preference note:
I would highly recomend the use of RCDs on lighting circuits. Install them as appropriate to avoid total black-outs should they trip.

e.g. if you split the panel across 2 x 30mA RCDs so that only half the lights will ever go at one time. There are various options available.

My personal view is that one of the most likely ways to get shocked is via a light fitting when changing a bulb.

There are some slight differences in terms of lighting circuit layouts too. We generally use 10A radials rather than 6A.

----

Again, just as a footnote... ring circuits are generally not used here although permitted. Most homes have a 2 or 3 row hager / siemens DIN rail panel with either neozed fuses or breakers.

Socket outlets : 20A radials
Water heater: 16 or 20A radial
Lighting : 10A radials
Cooker: >32A
Shower : as appropriate.
Others : as appropriate.

[This message has been edited by djk (edited 03-28-2006).]

#145272 03/29/06 08:48 PM
Splendid explanation, Dave.
How could you go wrong with good info like that!.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 03-29-2006).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard