ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
2 members (Scott35, gfretwell), 275 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#144094 10/06/05 02:10 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
This is a question for our Down-Under members.
I was doing a little job today for a friend of mine. (Installing a new light fitting in the bathroom)
However, she had already bought a couple of light switches that she wanted to change for the older type side-by-side 2 Gang switches, elsewhere in the house.
I know that you can get adaptor plates for the vertically orientated switches.
But, here is my question.
I'd like to go one better as far as appearance goes, instead of a white plate under the switch.
Can you still get the older configuration?.
I think I've been out of EC work long enough to forget just what works with what.
These are the plates that had the 4 screws holding it to the wall, in a "double" flushbox.
Any help I could get would be cool.
I want to do this job properly, not with a gaudy bit of plastic to cover up the holes.

#144095 10/06/05 07:44 PM
S
Not sure i know what your chasing, but have you tried the online clipsal catalogue, pictures and all.

Spock

#144096 10/06/05 07:57 PM
A
Trumpy,
I thought I'd have a look through the Clipsal online catalog...well that merely just ended with a complaint emailed to them...their site has become unuseable since I used it last when it had a very good interactive catalog.
(I have a real gripe with people who write their sites to work only with IE and require system resource wasting plug ins that achieve nothing). HPM is much more limited in what they have which is a shame.
Can you show us any pics?
I'm wondering if you're thinking of the old U.S pattern switches we had here in the 50's...a dual gang version of them would use a 4 screw double width switchplate. If so, I'm pretty sure they are still available from Clipsal ( I know the single gang ones are) and there is also a modern replacement switchplate (taking the modern push in mechanisms) with the screw holes in the same position.

[This message has been edited by aussie240 (edited 10-06-2005).]

#144097 10/07/05 02:40 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Aussie,
Thanks a heap mate!.
I didn't have my camera with me at the time.
I'm wondering if you're thinking of the old U.S pattern switches we had here in the 50's...a dual gang version of them would use a 4 screw double width switchplate.
Yes, that's the one!. [Linked Image]
I might go and pick the brains of my local Ideal Electrical man in the morning.
On your first point:
I have a real gripe with people who write their sites to work only with IE and require system resource wasting plug ins that achieve nothing.
To be honest Aussie, you are preaching to the converted in my case, I've used Firefox since it was released and I aren't going back, however there are some sites around that don't allow you to use FF, which is a real nuisance, considering that my new computer I've built here uses a Linux platform and I don't have IE anymore.
I'm not shedding any tears though, this system starts a lot faster and to a degree is a lot better from a user perspective.
I wish I'd made the change sooner from XP.
Sorry to go so off-topic, but I like this system. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 10-07-2005).]

#144098 10/13/05 09:10 PM
Trumpy Offline OP
Guys,
Finally got the switch yesterday and replaced the old one.
Here is a pic of the thing from the wholesaler:

[Linked Image]

This plate is 116 x 116mm square and has 86 x 57mm fixing centres.

I never managed to get a pic of the old one, I was in too much of a hurry.
One thing that did strike me as strange was the 2 x 2-core red cables for the switches in the box when I removed the old plate.
Haven't seen that sort of wire for a wee while. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 10-13-2005).]

#144099 10/14/05 07:43 AM
P
T&E with two red cores is still available here, although probably not for very much longer.

I don't know if there will be a 2 x brown version in its place -- I haven't seen one yet.

#144100 10/14/05 07:43 PM
A
Paul, Yes its available. and three core now coloured brown black & grey. Regards Alan

#144101 10/15/05 06:45 AM
P
Ah, thanks Alan. I've already used the new brown/black/gray 3-core, but hadn't seen any 2xbrown yet.

#144102 10/15/05 07:47 PM
Trumpy Offline OP
Paul,
I've already used the new brown/black/gray 3-core
What a strange colouring.
That'll cause some confusion to someone.
However, there was a rare cable here that I haven't seen in ages, it was the old 2x Red and 1 Black, that was used to hook up 2 Phase ovens here.
You had to sleeve one of the phases yellow or blue.
The Earth would have been a single core (stranded) conduit wire.

#144103 10/16/05 01:57 AM
A
Trumpy, Good to see you found it...that's exactly the switchplate I was trying to describe. The 1956 built building where I work is full of those and also the GPO's using the same pattern. Few of the original switches remain, but the lesser used GPO's do (some with reversed live and neutral too...separate switch allows that to happen).
I've never used IE...only Netscape or Firefox since day one of using the internet. But anyway, the Clipsal site webmaster was appreciative of my comments and will sort things out. Believe it or not, it really does help to give constructive comments to webmasters...they often have no idea that some things might not work on some browsers or resolution settings until someone tells them and they do appreciate the feedback...so, a more pictorial search should appear soon. In the mean time I've ordered the CD rom catalog...why not when it's free? [Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard