ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 268 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#142742 02/26/05 03:05 PM
L
I live in northern ireland where we have a population of circa 1.5 million. We have an electrical apprentice intake of 400 every year. All these apprentices are destined to be electrical installation operatives in the construction industry. Maintenance and factory electricians are recruited separately. However, I have a feeling that the intake numbers are much greater than elsewhere in the UK. What sort of numbers are recruited each year where you live?

regards

lyle dunn
#142743 03/01/05 03:44 AM
Lyle,
This might sound like a rant at you, but please disregard that idea.
We take on roughly 50-60 Apprentices a year here in NZ.
Odd thing about Apprentice training here, is that to go on a "Block Course" as part of your training as an Electrician here, is the thing that your Employer will no longer pay for the course.
Considering that a 2 week course could cost you up to NZ$1000, in your first year as an Electrical Apprentice, as well as travel expenses, usually us South Island guys have to go to the North Island, to do the courses and Accommodation as well.
There is a nasty trend here where Apprentices are just not finishing thier time because of the burgeoning Debt, 2nd year course is NZ$3000, it's like having a mortgage before you even get qualified.
Why bother with a Trades Apprenticeship when if you go to be a Lawyer you are basically handed money to go and do the training?.
We are crying out for Good Tradespeople here, but we treat the Apprentices like this, it's no wonder they head to the UK to pay off thier debt's.
You need at least NZ$50 per hour in the hand to offset your Student Loan and then have something to live on.
End of rant Lyle. [Linked Image]

#142744 03/02/05 06:25 PM
L
Trumpy,
What sort of population in New Zealand? Are you saying Your company takes on 50 apprentices or the South Island quota is 50?
By the way, if you want to rant, feel free - it is often excellent therapy!

regards

lyle dunn
#142745 03/03/05 07:40 AM
K
O.K. its my turn to rant. 15 years ago in NZ, quitting an electrical apprenticeship was a rarity, now it is very common.

The Government has made it very expensive and difficult to get registered, yet pours money into apprentice recruitment and "Free Introductory Schemes" at Polytech. End result is: Cheaper electrical workers for big business.

In NZ we have de-regulated a perfectly solid apprenticeship system to allow a new crowd of bludgers to get between the apprentice and their registration. "Education Providers", "Quality Assurance Officials" and "Industry Training Organizations" are all soaking up money.

Has the U.K gone this way too ?

Thats my "rant" on that subject, sorry about the strong language.

#142746 03/05/05 04:02 AM
Thanks for that Lyle,
I needed that one!. [Linked Image]
If there is anything that winds me up, it's the way things are run here. [Linked Image]
New Zealand at last census had 4 million people IIRC.
Latest figures out from the Electro-technology Industry Training Organisation here state that 77 Electrical Apprentices were taken on last calendar year.
Mind you, as Kiwi mentioned, it would be rather interesting to see what percentage of those trainees actually get registered.
Also to agree with Kiwi, if they left it to our Industry to run things by ourselves, we would be a lot better off.
There far too many organisations here trying to get a share of the trainee dollar these days. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 03-05-2005).]

Link Copied to Clipboard