ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
400volt Offline OP
A number of Electrical Workers from UK, South Africa have arrived in Queensland to work as Electricians. Before this can occur they have to obtain a Trade Recogition Auatralia Electrical Fitter's and or Electrical Mechanic's Certificate and when they receive this Certificate they then have to apply to Queensland Electrical Licensing for a Queensland Electrical Fitter's and or Mechanic's Work Licence.

This process incurrs a cost and considerable amount of time working under a Permit.

Also, attendance at Course in the Regulations and Australian Standards is required. This situation can cause considerable frustrations.

What is the situation in other countries with regard to the above.

Hi there 400volt!.
For Tradespeople moving here from the UK or South Africa, trades-people need to provide evidence of thier qualifications, pass a Regulations Exam and a Practical Assessment.
Also, to get a Practicing Licence, you have to do Refresher courses in First-Aid and Testing.

P
As far as the legal situation stands at present, there are no licensing requirements at all in England. In fact there is no such thing as an electrical license.

To obtain work in most industrial and commercial sectors, though, it's likely that an employer will require certification via the National Inspection Council for Electrical Installation Contracting.
http://www.niceic.org.uk/

Oops,
Put my foot fair in it there!.
On the other side of the coin, I used to work with a Dutch Electrician here, that had both a Dutch and a German Electrical ticket and the EWRB here made him do an 8000 HR apprenticeship, for good measure. [Linked Image]
Believe me, if this guy couldn't tell you how it worked, it either didn't exist or it wasn't electric in the first place.
It's no wonder we can't get qualified immigrants here. [Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard