ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
D
djk Offline OP
Here are a few rather interesting PDF files from ESB Networks that fully describe how a housing development is connected:
http://www.esb.ie/esbnetworks/downl..._se rvices_guidebook_dtis_050500_azf.pdf

and how an individual one off house is connected:
http://www.esb.ie/esbnetworks/downloads/standards_codes/duct_spec.pdf

Gives full details of EVERYTHING including how their minipillars, substations etc are earthed.

You may need to skip in a few pages as much of it is aimed at building contractors.

Required Earthing arrangements:

"DPC4.3 Earthing Requirements

DPC4.3.1 The treatment of the neutral is different for the various supply voltages. The present treatments are described below but these could change in the future.
DPC 4.3.2 The electrical installations of all new consumers connected at low voltage shall be protected by PME, (TNC-S unless otherwise advised) in line with the requirements of the National Rules for Electrical Installations - Electro Technical Council of Ireland (ETCI) (Item 17, Annex1). This requires that the individual appliance earth conductors be wired back to central bonding position adjacent to the incoming supply termination. No local earthing of plant or appliances is permitted within the installation.
DPC4.3.3 The central bonding terminal block shall be incorporated in a sealable enclosure which facilitates the connection of a neutralising link onto the incoming ESB neutral conductor. An earthing conductor of appropriate size should be taken from the central terminal block to the consumers earth electrode.
DPC4.3.4 For voltages above LV the following applies:
Voltage Neutral Treatment 10kV Isolated neutral throughout the country except in parts of Dublin and Cork City where it is either directly earthed or earthed through a 2 ohm or 4 ohm resistor so as to limit single-phase earth fault current to 1500 amps (typical).
20kV Earthed through a 20 ohm resistor which limits earth fault current to 500 amps.
38kV Earthed through an arc suppression coil (series inductance) at source 110kV substations.
110kV Effectively Earthed. "

[This message has been edited by djk (edited 01-20-2004).]

djk,
I don't seem to be able to access them PDF files that you linked to above.
Am I doing something wrong here?.
BTW, I do have Acrobat Reader. [Linked Image]
{Message edited to remove a grammatical error}

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 01-23-2004).]

P
I downloaded them yesterday with no problems, and can still link to them all right this morning.

Some interesting points in there, such as ESB expecting the developer to simply give them the land upon which a substation is built!

L
djk,
The hockey stick, is it the consumers? The bend looks very tight for 25mm2 tails!
What equipment do they allow in the enclosure that might belong to the consumer? I am thinking about consumer units perhaps some distance away from mains intake.
Up here the NIE insist that only their equipment is installed in the outdoor cubicles although this may be relaxed on the nod!

regards

lyle dunn
D
djk Offline OP
Nothing belonging to the consumer is normally allowed in the meter enclosure other than cables to connect the meter to the consumer unit. Any reference to customer equipment is pretty strictly refering to metering equipment (potentially including meters, timers, relays) and service fuses... The RARE exception would be in instances like public lighting etc where the enclosure might contain a single RCD & breaker.

PaulUK: Under the Electricty supply act 1927 they have all sorts of powers in terms of access to and over land.

The developer has a rather stark choice. Either he hand over the land for substations, cabling, minipillars etc.. or he doesn't get electricity installed at all.

Lyle:

Here's the actual ESB approved "Hockey Stick" it's it's a very gradual bend to 90 degrees... cables actually slide in very easily.

[Linked Image from agtec.ie]

[This message has been edited by djk (edited 01-23-2004).]

P
The developer has a rather stark choice. Either he hand over the land for substations, cabling, minipillars etc.. or he doesn't get electricity installed at all.

It just struck me as rather demanding, especially considering the ridiculously high price of even small amounts of land these days. That said, I have to confess that I don't know if similar arrangements apply here; I've never been involved with a new housing development, so I can't say.

That "hockey stick" looks about the same as the ones used here on new installations, except ours are usually white.

D
djk Offline OP
ESB insists on special red ducting for ALL power cables and it must be printed up with warnings etc. That includes the hockey sticks.

They've a fairly weird but effective way of enforcing these construction standards. They will dig and sample at random points and check the visible parts. If ANY part is not up to their code they will insist on reinstalling the ENTIRE thing! So it's something that developers take extremely seriously as failure to meet ESB inspection can cost a lot of money.

Link Copied to Clipboard