Now Available!

Recent Posts
Forum Software Upgrade coming soon...
by Webmaster
Today at 12:03 AM
Re: Fabricating Guards out of Lexan?
by frank
Yesterday at 04:11 PM
Would ELV branch circuits be a good idea?
by gfretwell
Yesterday at 01:26 PM
Why cables look like they do
by Texas_Ranger
Yesterday at 12:33 PM
100% breakers?
by Texas_Ranger
01/16/17 06:13 AM
New in the Gallery:
Desk-mounted "power-board"
Top Posters (30 Days)
HotLine1 20
Webmaster 20
gfretwell 13
Trumpy 12
ghost307 12
Who's Online
0 registered (), 0 Guests and 36 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#137009 - 05/19/03 08:09 AM Cheap metal halide fixtures
Texas_Ranger Offline

Loc: Vienna, Austria
Yesterday I had the pleasure of wiring a real cheap ($7) wall mount 500W metal halide fixture. My dad bought 2 or 3 of them years ago (oh, you never know, maybe you can use them some time in the future) and packed them away. Well, yesterday my brother wanted one of them as a video spot light so I dug out a cord and tried to wire up the spot. Even though they were stored perfectly dry the case had started to rust. No manual anywhere. 3 wires. 2 neon yellow ones and a blue one. No markings in sight. So I took out the reflector and traced the wires. Guess what. Yellow = phase and neutral, blue = ground. The screws of the strip connector refused to work, they were stuck fully open. At this point I dumped the bloody cr*p. I remember the one we wired years ago had some sort of instructions, written in a German that sent me ROFLMAO, so I guess they got lost (the box wasn't anywhere near solid).
Cheap bullsh*t!!!!!!!!!

Test Equipment:

Large Selection of Test Equipment For Electrical, HVAC, Test & Measurement
Large Selection of Test Equipment For Electrical, HVAC, Test & Measurement

#137010 - 05/19/03 08:38 AM Re: Cheap metal halide fixtures
SvenNYC Offline

Loc: New York City
Since it was a temporary thing....why not just remove the terminal block and replace it with another piece of terminal strip?

After he was done, take the thing out back and smash it with a brick so nobody can use it ever again if they find it in the trash.

Whenever I throw away something cheap-n-nasty (and unsafe) like that I always make sure to destroy it first. Don't want to be indirectly responsible for someone else's misery.

#137011 - 05/19/03 08:59 AM Re: Cheap metal halide fixtures
Texas_Ranger Offline

Loc: Vienna, Austria
More or less what I'm going to do. I was just that fed up yesterday I just threw it aside.

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals