ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#135585 01/18/03 12:19 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
I realise that the Lock-out Tag system, originally came from the UK, but what are the respective penalties for removing these, if you are not the person, who fitted it in the first place.
I had a Tag removed on me last week, I am still getting over the shock that I recieved, with wet hands and touching Earthed metal, in a Chiller at the local Meat works, while I was repairing the lights in the said Chiller, person involved could'nt see, so they cut the Tag off and turned on the lights, need I say more.
Your input please.

#135586 01/18/03 12:32 AM
L

#135587 01/18/03 12:37 AM
T
Don't know legally,but a good old fashioned a$$ kickin comes to mind personally. [Linked Image]
Does OSHA exist over there?I'm sure they would something to say as well as a fine for the individual that cuts the tagout off.Did you use a lock as well as a tag?

It was dark,maybe he couldn't read the tag. [Linked Image]

There is an article at EC&M that says who can remove a lock or a tag. http://www.ecmweb.com/ar/electric_energize_lockouttagout_plan/

[This message has been edited by txsparky (edited 01-17-2003).]

Donnie
#135588 01/18/03 12:50 AM
L
txsparky...your right there...a real good a** kicking. there was a tag on it.

#135589 01/18/03 07:37 AM
P
If the educational system in NZ is falling apart as rapidly as it seems to be here, maybe the guy just couldn't read at all! [Linked Image]

I don't work on anything bigger than very light commercial normally. Much of the equipment used in small retail shops here is the same as domestic, and has no lock-out facility on it. If I feel there's a danger that somebody might re-energize a circuit, then I remove the cover and disconnect the wire(s) from the MCB/fuse.

In the U.K. in a commerical environment, this would come under the auspices of the Health & Safety Executive.

Trumpy,
Did you make a written, formal report on the incident to the plant manager?

#135590 01/18/03 02:01 PM
D
djk Offline
Lucky for that guy he doesn't live here in Ireland that would almost immediately result in a MASSIVE law suit against the company and / or the guy himself. He'd almost certainly end up getting fired over it.

There's much more of a Californian style sue the pants off everyone culture here than elsewhere in Europe.

You could expect at the very minimum tens if not hundreds of thousands of euro!

Might explain our sky high insurance costs though!

#135591 01/18/03 10:36 PM
Trumpy Offline OP
Everyone,
Thanks for your input on this one!.
Lighthouse- No, I did not have a lock on it, all the switches in this installation are able to be locked OFF, with a padlock.
In this case, I had a Tyrap (nylon cable tie),through the switch locking aperture, and I made sure that the switch could not be moved at all(this is a Rotary type switch), unless the cable tie and Tag are intentionally cut and removed, unfortunately, this is what happened in this case.
Just as a note, these cable ties are a lot stronger than your average Nylon tie, and they cannot be cut with scissors or a knife, they have a steel core, running through them.
txsparky-Over here we have OSH(Occupational Safety and Health, I doubt that they would even look at an incident like this one, as no-one lost thier life(Thank God!).
Paul-A full written report was forwarded to the Management of the company, who instantly dismissed the Employee and also a copy was sent to the Electrical Safety Service(they investigate any breach of the Electricity Regulations), and, man!, are they thorough. [Linked Image]

#135592 01/19/03 08:08 AM
P
Good to hear that the person responsible lost his job. His actions could well have killed somebody.

Glad you were all right! [Linked Image]

#135593 01/22/03 02:10 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Paul,
I think that next time, I will be using a
Padlock, on these switches.
Hey, I'm glad that I actually got a second chance, in this respect!. [Linked Image]
But with respect to most MCB's, these days, there is a wee(1mm, if I'm not wrong)hole that you can insert a piece of wire through.
In my way of thinking, a piece of wire is not enough, why do they not provide enough room to get a pad-lock through the body of the MCB, sure, you can get what is called a lock-dog, but I have had these fall off, sometimes switching the MCB back on in the process! [Linked Image]
What are your(or anyone else, who cares to) comments on this? [Linked Image]

#135594 02/16/03 01:24 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
What I was meaning to say,
is the fact that no-one has invented(patented), a locking mechanism, that fits all types of CB's, Isolators and other such equipment, that will "LOCK", the mechanism
"OFF" and keep it that way until it has been removed. [Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard