The Electrical Contractor Network

ECN Electrical Forum
Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals

Books, Tools and Test Equipment for Electrical and Construction Trades

Register Now!

Register Now!

We want your input!


2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Recent Posts
Industrail Control Panel bonding per 409.108
by sparkyinak
Today at 03:17 PM
Calling all Non-US members!! (Non-US only)
by aussie240
Yesterday at 02:39 AM
Photo Upload Tutorial
by DanK
12/06/16 11:35 PM
Sprinklered equipment 26-008
by bigpapa
12/02/16 04:24 PM
On Delay Relay with Auto Reset
by Potseal
12/01/16 09:59 AM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm˛ flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
gfretwell 13
HotLine1 9
sparkyinak 8
Texas_Ranger 8
Trumpy 6
Who's Online
0 registered (), 248 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#134839 - 12/04/02 10:31 PM Out-Building?
Trumpy Offline


Registered: 07/05/02
Posts: 8540
Loc: SI,New Zealand
How would an out-building (shed,garage),
be supplied with Electricity, in your country?.
Is it required to be run underground or over- head?, what type of cable is required in each case?.
If it is U/G, what depth is required?.
Your input please-
Let's face it, these days if you're not young, you're old - Red Green grin

Test Equipment:

Large Selection of Test Equipment For Electrical, HVAC, Test & Measurement
Large Selection of Test Equipment For Electrical, HVAC, Test & Measurement

#134840 - 12/05/02 05:53 AM Re: Out-Building?
C-H Offline


Registered: 09/17/02
Posts: 1508
Loc: Stockholm, Sweden
>How would an out-building (shed,garage),
>be supplied with Electricity, in your

Underground or simply clipped to a wall or other reasonably secure part of the building. In the latter case "romex" style EKK could be used. I have to admit that I don't know which is the common way today.

(The garage at my parents house is supplied with an old "romex"-style cable on a fence. I had an electrican in to have it replaced, as the outer sheet has disintegrated, but in his opinion it was in good condition. If it failed completely, the RCD would trip, preventing any danger.)

>Is it required to be run underground
>or over-head?,

Over-head is only used by PoCo's.

>what type of cable is required in each case?.

Aluminium "armoured" underground cable is very often used as general purpose wiring for 4mm2 and up. Therefore I would think any underground wiring is carried out with this. In theory, you are allowed to use ordinary aluminium sheated cable provided that it is protected from mechanical damage. If you go through the trouble of U/G, I think you'd drop at least a 5x2.5mm2. (There is little money to save on using a smaller cable)

#134841 - 12/05/02 09:07 AM Re: Out-Building?
Texas_Ranger Offline

Registered: 12/17/01
Posts: 2343
Loc: Vienna, Austria
Underground. I've seen people hanging extension cords on a piece of clothes line, but this can hardly be considered permanent and code compliant wiring.
Otherwise tough rubber sheathed underground cable is used. Probably also Romex pulled in PVC flex conduit.

#134842 - 12/05/02 10:34 AM Re: Out-Building?
pauluk Offline

Registered: 08/11/01
Posts: 7693
Loc: Norfolk, England
This is one area where DIY wiring in this country is especially bad.

The garage at my parents house is supplied with an old "romex"-style cable on a fence

U.K. Regs. prohibit the fixing of cables to fences, as it's considered that the cable is too susceptible to damage in the event of the fence collapsing.

Feeds to outbuildings may be either overhead or underground here, subject to certain limitations. Have a look here for some details:

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 12-05-2002).]


ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals