Register Now!

Register Now!

We want your input!

Featured:

2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Recent Posts
Calling all Non-US members!! (Non-US only)
by aussie240
Yesterday at 02:39 AM
Photo Upload Tutorial
by DanK
12/06/16 11:35 PM
Sprinklered equipment 26-008
by bigpapa
12/02/16 04:24 PM
On Delay Relay with Auto Reset
by Potseal
12/01/16 09:59 AM
Wow, that was close!
by jraef
11/28/16 07:06 PM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm˛ flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
gfretwell 13
HotLine1 9
Texas_Ranger 8
sparkyinak 7
Trumpy 6
Who's Online
0 registered (), 78 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#13460 - 09/04/02 05:14 PM Please help with a product or advice
teeland Offline

Loc: Hot Springs, AR
This is probably a strange request, but I am in a bind.
What I am looking for is a 12-3 flat ribbon wire to install for a floor plug that is located on top of a slab.

This is for a residential application where the home owner does not want to cut or chip up the slab. I once used this at a furniture store where we could not cut the floor, but that has been almost 15 years ago.

The way it worked was we put a J-box located on the wall with our power inside. There was a terminal block inside the box with an area for the ribbon cable to make up. The ribbon cable then leaves the J-box (at ground level), and is glued to the concrete slab where it is attatched to another terminal block at the location of the receptacle. Although this is a floor plug, it is on the surface of the floor and has the appearance of a tombstone receptacle. The ribbon cable is then covered with a rubber topping for extra protection, and the floor is ready to be installed.

My question is this. My supplier cannot find the brand name of this product. I am wanting to say that it is a Hubbell product, but I can't find it on their website. If any of you guys can help me out or suggest another solution that doesn't involve a concrete saw, bring it on!

Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades

Arc Flash Clothing, Gloves, KneePads, Tool Belts, Pouches, Tool Carriers, etc. etc....

#13461 - 09/04/02 05:23 PM Re: Please help with a product or advice
HotLine1 Offline

Loc: Brick, NJ USA
Teeland:
What you are refering to is Flat Carpet Cable
It is/was NEC legal only installed under commercial carpet tiles (24"sq.)
Perelli was the mfg of the FCC, and Walker Duct the receptacle box and fittings.
Believe it or not, cleaning up the shop in June, I threw out the left-overs from the last installation. (Quite a while ago) You know how it is, you "save" the LO's in case you "need it". HA HA

Now I have to get the Code Book, and see if it's still listed.

I don't know if it's still available; Try "Walker Duct" on the web.

HotLine1
John

#13462 - 09/04/02 06:01 PM Re: Please help with a product or advice
resqcapt19 Offline

Loc: IL
See Article 324 (was 328 in '99) in the 02 code. 334.12 says you can't use it in residential occupancies. The UL website says that Hubbell, Thomas and Betts, and Tyco make FCC(flat conductor cable) cable. I haven't used any in a long time and what I used was a Wiremold product, but they got out of that market.
Don

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals