ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#133121 - 05/12/02 02:20 PM Quiz time!
pauluk Offline
Loc: Norfolk, England
Just pretend you're a five-year-old and follow this link to London Electricity's Electric Jungle.

Have fun!

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 05-12-2002).]
Test Equipment:
Large Selection of Test Equipment For Electrical, HVAC, Test & Measurement
Large Selection of Test Equipment For Electrical, HVAC, Test & Measurement
#133122 - 05/12/02 05:25 PM Re: Quiz time!
sparky Offline
but....your 'plugs' are fused right?....

Quote:
Question 1.

What's the name of the safety device that stops too much electricity flowing into an appliance?

Plug

Fuse

Wire
#133123 - 05/12/02 06:34 PM Re: Quiz time!
Bill Addiss Offline
Loc: NY, USA
Paul,

Why isn't it safe to use a Hairdryer in the Bathroom?

I was in the Kitchen and couldn't get out to go to the Bathroom to find out the answer. (figuratively speaking of course )

Bill
#133124 - 05/13/02 03:38 PM Re: Quiz time!
pauluk Offline
Steve,

Yes, our 13A plugs are fused (ceramic cartridge type, 1 x 0.25", ratings from 1A to 13A). The older style round-pin plugs usually aren't fused, although there aren't too many of those still around in common domestic use.

I hadn't though about "the plug contains a fuse so the plug could be classed as a protective device" argument, but I see your point.

There are some other nits to pick as well, e.g. brown is the live wire in a plug. They should add "unless it's on an appliance made before 1970 in which case it's red."

And I do feel that for kids as young as this is aimed at, they're over-emphasizing the power used by a TV on standby.

Bill,
To get out of any room you click on the small house symbol at the top left of the frame. (Yeah, I only found out by accident!)

Anyway, if you go to the hairdryer in the bathroom:

Quote:

Ellie Elephant says:
"As Hannah hair-dryer is mains powered, it is dangerous to use her in the bathroom or anywhere near water."

It goes along with the IEE's total refusal to accept any receptacle in a bathroom, other than a low-power xfmr-isolated shaver outlet.

Where'd that elephant come from anyway?

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 05-13-2002).]
#133125 - 05/13/02 05:30 PM Re: Quiz time!
sparky Offline
Quote:
It goes along with the IEE's total refusal to accept any receptacle in a bathroom, other than a low-power xfmr-isolated shaver outlet.

hmmm, so where would mama do her thing?

[/i]( i should'nt complain, it's cold here in the winter...mornings and all...)[/i]

Quote:
Where'd that elephant come from anyway?

the democrats?
#133126 - 05/13/02 05:42 PM Re: Quiz time!
pauluk Offline
Er.... Wouldn't that mean they'd kidnapped it from a REPUBLICAN convention????

(More on bathrooms tomorrow -- Way past bedtime this side of the pond.)
#133127 - 05/15/02 10:49 AM Re: Quiz time!
pauluk Offline
Steve,

Quote:

hmmm, so where would mama do her thing?

Well, according to our IEE, any place but the bathroom!

I had a feeling at least one of you would pick up on the hairdryer/bathroom angle, especially as there's been much talk re 1875W units, dedicated bath circuits etc.

I'm not sure when the "no sockets in a bathroom" rule was introduced, but it's there in the 1955 regulations, so it's a good while.

Of course it is possible to find bathrooms with receptacles installed against the regs., but for everybody else they either use the hair-dryer in a bedroom, or run an extension cord into bathroom.

So long as there is suitable care, such as the receptacle located away from the tub, provided with GFI protection, etc., then I think it SHOULD be allowed.

Oh, and with reference to that elephant, I guess this U.S. road sign really means "Caution: Democrats ahead!"

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 05-15-2002).]

Member Spotlight
New in the Gallery:
SE cable question
Featured:

2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 59 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod

New in the Gallery:
SE cable question

Top Posters (30 Days)
Admin 47
HotLine1 43
gfretwell 19
Ruben Rocha 12
Trumpy 9

Newest Members
Freecrowder, clee512, Jdscott2005, FAIZAN, Regitest2

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals