by Potseal
12/01/16 09:59 AM
Wow, that was close!
by jraef
11/28/16 07:06 PM
Earthquake in New Zeeland
by RODALCO
11/27/16 11:25 PM
Calling all Non-US members!! (Non-US only)
by Tjia1981
11/27/16 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm▓ flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
gfretwell 15
HotLine1 10
Trumpy 8
Texas_Ranger 8
sparkyinak 7
Who's Online
2 registered (NORCAL, sparkyinak), 205 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#130769 - 12/08/06 01:53 AM Light box wiring exercise
pauluk Offline

Loc: Norfolk, England
From Kenbo:

Quote:
I am trying to resurrect an old wiring exercise and wondering if I have got the diagram correct. (seen this before but had to work out the wiring diagram myself)

It consists of a 12V transformer, one 12v 8 pin relay, two one way switches, one double pole three position switch, and two banks of lights.

The idea is 3-position switch in middle all lights off, up allows you to operate one bank of lights, down the other. The relay is used as an inter-lock.

I have ordered the parts and awaiting delivery so have not constructed it myself yet

I know this is more complicated than needs to be but the idea is it introduces students to working from wiring diagrams, and once they have built it I can then introduce faultfinding using a multimeter.

#130770 - 12/08/06 03:21 AM Re: Light box wiring exercise
pauluk Offline

Loc: Norfolk, England
A DPDT switch and a DPDT relay to do what could be achieved with a SPDT switch is certainly the "Steamroller to crack a nut" school of design, but effective as a demonstration!

The circuit looks fine to me, assuming a standard pin-out octal relay:

Coil on #2 & #7.

First contact set:
Common #1, n/c #4, n/o #3

Second contact set:
Common #8, n/c #5, n/o #6.

With the DPDT switch in the up position (up with respect to the tags as drawn) there's no power to the relay coil, and you have a circuit completed to the series lamps via the n/c contacts on relay pins 1 & 4.

With the DPDT switch down, the relay is energized and the circuit is completed to the parallel lamps via n/o contacts on 6 & 8.

#130771 - 12/08/06 06:40 AM Re: Light box wiring exercise
Kenbo Offline

Loc: Scotland
Thanks Paul

It is a standard 8 pin octal relay (I could not think of the correct name for it)

I got the stuff to build it today and it did not work Then realised I had bought 12V DC relay instead of 12V AC.

But only noticed my mistake after I re-worked the wiring diagram. This time I drew it on the white board using different colours for the different circuits.

The students are goiong to hate me for this

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals