ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#129463 03/28/05 03:35 PM
D
(continued from General issues Thread)

From the site Joe provided under this thread, it provides alot of information for power quality in the future.
I noticed it suggests oversizing nuetrals and grounds, but I can't find any mention of the advantage/disadvantage of solid wire vs. stranded.

Either one of these better than the other for harmonics?

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#129464 03/28/05 10:32 PM
Broom Pusher and
I wouldn't think Stranded vs. Solid would be a significate issue - but who knows!

Also, the reference to increased Common Grounded Conductor size makes sense, but increased size of the EGC regarding Harmonics doesn't make sense - it's not normally carrying Currents!
If it is, something is - a - wrong - a. [Linked Image]

More later.

Scott35

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
#129465 03/30/05 12:04 PM
D
Scott, or anyone.

If the 3rd harmonic is at 180hz.

F=1/T

Is this the rate the power supplies are turning on/off "switching", causing this to signal to back to the supply?

Is it true harmonics are negligable"spelling" on single phase "180" supplies vs 3 phase"120" "polyphase" supplies?

"180 degree phases" "120 degree phases"

[This message has been edited by Dnkldorf (edited 03-30-2005).]

#129466 03/30/05 10:40 PM
Broom Pusher and
Dnkldorf;

I'll try to address these questions with brief replies.

If the 3rd harmonic is at 180hz.
F=1/T
Is this the rate the power supplies are turning on/off "switching", causing this to signal to back to the supply?

This is more like the "First Odd Order Harmonic" in that Circuit on that System.
It is the beginning of the "Triple-N" scenarios found on the Common Grounded Conductor of a 4 Wire Wye Polyphase System.

A SMPS (Switch Mode Power Supply) "Switches" according to the desired output needed to drive the connected load(s).
It will switch on for a short period of time, then switch off (over and over) to create a certain output Power level (Voltage of "x" level, current of "x" amperes - combined to equal required power level).

Higher power level loads will switch on/off less rapidly than low power draws.

The resulting output looks more like a semi steady DC output, than a series of off and on pulses.
What gets reflected "outward" back into the AC power system, is mostly from the chopping of the Rectified AC input (what is seen at the output), along with the input Rectifier section.

Maybe someone could describe these effects, like as in Waveform Analysis per Fourier's Series and/or Fischer-Hinnen's method, without doing what I would do... make no sense what so ever!

Is it true harmonics are negligable"spelling" on single phase "180" supplies vs 3 phase"120" "polyphase" supplies?

Yes, the accumilative effects of "Triple-N" do not exist on 1Ø Systems - due to the fact there is only one Phase/Waveform dealt with.

Harmonics exist on 1Ø Systems too, they just don't have as extreme of issues - like the 3Ø 4 Wire Wye Systems do with the overloading of Commons (Grounded Conductors) in Balanced, fully-loaded 4 wire multiwire circuits.

[ Old-Rant = On ]
Of course, there is no "180° Phase Offset" in any 1Ø System - nor in any Polyphase (usable) System...
"180° Phase Offset" would result in a 2 Phase System with a Zero level output:
  • Zero Volts,
  • Zero Amperes,
  • Zero Wattage,
  • Zero Volt-Amperes,
  • Zero VARs.

...not a very useful System at all!
[ Old-Rant = Off ]

Scott35

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
#129467 03/31/05 08:18 AM
D
Once again I thank you for the info.

If I sound like a knucklehead with these questions, just be firm and tell me to go away.
It has been many years, 20+ since basic electricity and circuit education, and the old saying "if you don't use it, you lose it", is hitting me.

I am going back to brush up on this stuff.

If you, or any one has some helpful links pertaining to the cause/effects of harmonics, and would like to share them with a "greeny", I'd appreciate it.

Dnk.......

Link Copied to Clipboard