by Texas_Ranger
Today at 08:24 AM
Son of Sparky
by HotLine1
10/20/16 07:43 PM
Speaking of Plugmold ...
by gfretwell
10/17/16 02:37 PM
Broken battery charger? Check for cobwebs!
by gfretwell
10/17/16 02:30 PM
230 or 345 kV transmission lines?
by annemarie1
10/12/16 01:23 PM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm˛ flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
gfretwell 11
renosteinke 6
HotLine1 6
ghost307 5
Potseal 4
Who's Online
0 registered (), 216 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#128945 - 04/30/04 07:13 PM Home Built Solar Cell Trickle Charger
maintenanceguy Offline

Loc: Southern NJ, USA
I'm getting ready for a backpacking trip that will have me out of civilization for a few days. I'd like to be able to keep in touch with home via cellphone and also have a radio in-case there's no service in my little-bit-o-wilderness.

Batteries run down and spare batteries are heavy. I'm carrying everything on my back and every little bit of weight adds up.

I'm thinking about building a solar trickle charger for my batteries. I'd need around 6 volts for everything. Cell charger puts out 6 (I just checked it) and radios have 4-1.5 V batteries.

Can I just set up a bank of photocells to the appropriate plug and plug in my cellphone. I'd add a diode so the cell can't discharge through the cells if I'm in the shade. Is it that simple?

If so, I might sew half a dozen solar cells on the top of my pack and just let things charge all day while I'm hiking so the batteries never run down.

I guess I'm making this more complicated than it probably is because I'm not sure what the cell phone's electronics do if they have a varying input voltage as I walk in shade, clouds move etc. I also don't know if I need a specific threshold current before charging can take place.

[This message has been edited by maintenanceguy (edited 04-30-2004).]

#128946 - 05/02/04 04:56 PM Re: Home Built Solar Cell Trickle Charger
Scott35 Offline

Broom Pusher and

Loc: Anaheim, CA. USA

Send me an E-mail message, and I'll try to reply with a Schematic from my archives.

setelectric at pacbell dot net
Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals