Featured:

2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Recent Posts
Industrail Control Panel bonding per 409.108
by sparkyinak
Yesterday at 06:29 PM
Calling all Non-US members!! (Non-US only)
by aussie240
12/07/16 02:39 AM
Photo Upload Tutorial
by DanK
12/06/16 11:35 PM
Sprinklered equipment 26-008
by bigpapa
12/02/16 04:24 PM
On Delay Relay with Auto Reset
by Potseal
12/01/16 09:59 AM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm˛ flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
gfretwell 13
HotLine1 10
sparkyinak 9
Texas_Ranger 8
Potseal 6
Who's Online
0 registered (), 194 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#127932 - 03/20/02 09:40 PM fan speed control
aldav53 Offline

Loc: Chandler, AZ USA
A customer ask about there ceiling fans not working correctly, only one speed sometimes. It sounded like someone installed a standard dimmer, not a fan speed control. They also have a remote control not working right either. I'm sure this wouldn't be good for a fan or the dimmer itself. Light dimmers vary the voltage, not sure about fan speed controls, maybe they vary the frequency or the cycles. ??

#127933 - 03/21/02 06:30 PM Re: fan speed control
circuit man Offline

Loc: saluda,s.c.
well im not really sure about the 2 but no a dimmer & a fan speed control are 2 different creatures.

#127934 - 03/28/02 07:15 PM Re: fan speed control
Ron Offline

Loc: White Plains, NY
What is the operational differences between a fan speed control and a dimmer, assuming they both have a similar wattage rating. Don't they both shunt the power through a resistor (old style dimmer)?

#127935 - 03/28/02 07:38 PM Re: fan speed control
spkjpr Offline

Loc: Sedalia,MO, USA
Ron, the newer fan controls use an SCR to chop the AC line I believe. Much like a VFD drive in a commercial application. Several of the ceiling fans I have seen warn about using a rheostat for speed control, as in don't. Some of the speed controls also appear to be transistorized.
(Man these 20 hr days are killing me. I don't type well in the first place)

[This message has been edited by spkjpr (edited 03-28-2002).]

#127936 - 04/03/02 05:53 PM Re: fan speed control
daniel damon Offline

Loc: Ambler,PA, USA
Spkjpr,

can you explain a little more. what are SCR and VFD. tring to learn as much as i can. thanks

dan

#127937 - 04/03/02 06:58 PM Re: fan speed control
spkjpr Offline

Loc: Sedalia,MO, USA
Daniel, an SCR is a Silicon Controlled Rectifier, a diode that has a Gate used to turn it on so it will conduct. It is used in many industrial and other circuits to control how long the sine wave is on. Were I work we use them to control spot welders so we can control how much heat we apply to the metal. A VFD is a Variable Frequency Drive. Used an motors to control the speed, once again we use them at work to control the speed of a straightner, used to flatten the metal as it comes off a giant coil,so it will match the speed of the stamping press. Any time you have a question, jump in and ask. All of us here are more than willing to help, I even found a man here who answered my question about a crane control when I couldn't find any info about it. Good luck and remember as a n instructor once told me" a thirst for knowledge is a good thing, it means you are still alive!"

#127938 - 04/04/02 04:53 PM Re: fan speed control
daniel damon Offline

Loc: Ambler,PA, USA
Spkjpr,

thanks for all that info. you the man!!

#127939 - 04/04/02 06:07 PM Re: fan speed control
Scott35 Offline

Broom Pusher and

Loc: Anaheim, CA. USA
Just some FYI stuff:

Many Dimmers and speed controls use Triacs [like 2 SCRs facing both directions] as the AC Amplifying / Controlling device.

Some fire a Diac for Gate conduction, some drive a SCS to amp the Triac's Gate.

The Speed control which is intregal with the typical Ceiling Fan Permanent Split Capacitor Motor ["PSC"] is comprised of a Tapped Autotransformer section that is wound with the Stator Winding [Primary], and is connected ahead of the Run Winding.
This is a simple method for speed control of an AC Induction Motor which limits the available KVA to the Rotor [Secondary] and the overall True Power [Wattage]. By reducing the Voltage, the Motor will reduce it's Rotor speed until it can draw enough True Power to drive the Rotor [simply reduced the cubic feet per minute of air moved].

I should have a schematic of the PSC Motor posted in the Reference section if anyone needs a visual reference.
Let me know if one is needed.

Normally, speed of AC Motors is determined by the Frequency applied to the Rotor [higher Frequency = higher speed].
A 2 Pole AC Induction Motor driven at 60 Hz will have an unloaded speed of 3600 RPMs, and slip down to around 3450 at full load.
A 4 Pole AC Induction Motor driven at 60 Hz will be 1800 unloaded / 1725 full load.
Double the Frequency and the speed doubles.
The 4 Pole motor effectivly cuts the Frequency Induced to the Secondary [Rotor] in 1/2, or Induces AC at 30 Hz to the Secondary.

Scott SET

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals