The Electrical Contractor Network

ECN Electrical Forum
Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals

Books, Tools and Test Equipment for Electrical and Construction Trades

Register Now!

Register Now!

We want your input!


2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Recent Posts
Parking lot pole light swap....
by gfretwell
10/24/16 08:46 PM
International Wire Colour Codes
by Tjia1981
10/23/16 12:08 PM
Son of Sparky
by HotLine1
10/20/16 07:43 PM
Speaking of Plugmold ...
by gfretwell
10/17/16 02:37 PM
Broken battery charger? Check for cobwebs!
by gfretwell
10/17/16 02:30 PM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm˛ flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
gfretwell 14
ghost307 7
HotLine1 7
renosteinke 6
Potseal 4
Who's Online
0 registered (), 40 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#127905 - 03/11/02 07:25 PM Is this true?
Dale Offline
Junior Member

Registered: 11/12/01
Posts: 6
Loc: Regina Sask. Canada
I read this is it true...electric shock is damaging due to AMPS not volts

#127906 - 03/11/02 08:18 PM Re: Is this true?
George Corron Offline

Registered: 05/16/01
Posts: 728
Loc: Lorton, Va USA
'tis true, 'tis true, the volts push it through, but it's the amps what stops the heart laddie.
Getting shocked off a spark plug is not likely to kill you (if you're in good health) because low ampacity.

#127907 - 03/12/02 04:17 AM Re: Is this true?
Redsy Offline

Registered: 03/28/01
Posts: 2138
Loc: Bucks County PA
Yes, it is the amount of current passing through the body that causes the damage.
Remember though that all things being equal, higher voltages will push proportionally more current through your body.
Also remember that it takes less than one-tenth of an amp to kill a human being.

#127908 - 03/16/02 03:39 AM Re: Is this true?
maintenanceguy Offline

Registered: 12/02/01
Posts: 303
Loc: Southern NJ, USA
but, the normal electrical communication that goes on between nerves can be disrupted with high voltage at practically no current. This can shut down the heart or other parts of the body. But high voltage tends to only travel along the skin instead of penetrating deep enough to do any permanent damage.

I'm talking about voltages on the tens or hundreds of thousands of volts, not 480.

Think stun gun.

#127909 - 03/16/02 04:09 AM Re: Is this true?
sparky Offline

Registered: 10/18/00
Posts: 5545
or electric chair

#127910 - 03/16/02 05:03 PM Re: Is this true?
Chris Rudolph Offline

Registered: 05/01/01
Posts: 160
Loc: Winter Park,Fl USA
Sparky,You might be interested to know that the the name of the electric chair in Florida is "Old Sparky".


#127911 - 03/16/02 07:54 PM Re: Is this true?
circuit man Offline

Registered: 11/05/01
Posts: 287
Loc: saluda,s.c.
hey guys yall ever heard of a guy called "NIKOLA TESLA" ? he used to sit i his lab while lighting bolts jumped over his head. he would also hold his hand on what is called a tesla coil, & watch sparks shoot off his finger tips. it seems the higher the frequency the voltage travels over the top of the skin intead of through not harming the person. not only to say this guy was a great inventor of the transformer & the modern electric motor, but i belive he was close to a genius

#127912 - 06/13/02 04:33 AM Re: Is this true?
old Appy Offline

Registered: 03/18/01
Posts: 120
Loc: Auckland, New Zealand
we used to say" it aint the volts that jolt its the mills that kills"

#127913 - 06/13/02 06:25 AM Re: Is this true?
sparky66wv Offline

Registered: 11/17/00
Posts: 2334
Loc: West Virginia
No question, he was a genius.

Nikola Tesla

#127914 - 06/13/02 07:42 AM Re: Is this true?
Bjarney Offline

Registered: 04/10/02
Posts: 2561
Loc: West-Southern Inner-Northeast ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals