ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#127775 - 12/10/01 09:49 AM Flourencent Fixtures
Skinneh Offline
Loc: Canada
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had any advice for me.

I have a camp out in the middle of nowhere that, over time, has had many things added to it. Namely, a stereo and several party lights (Mostly incandescent). Most are not too picky about the type of power they get, which is a good thing because it's all run by a gas powered generator.

The only things that are really giving me problems are two fixtures that operate two 4 foot florescent black lights.

Every couple of weeks, when the lights are switched on, one fixture doesn't quite light up. It flickers, but doesn't become fully operational. I've gone through about 3 new ballasts over time, and I would really like to find out why this is happening.

If anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Scott.
Tools for Electricians:
#127776 - 12/10/01 02:52 PM Re: Flourencent Fixtures
ElectricAL Offline
Loc: Minneapolis, MN USA
The standard ballast doesn't start a fluorescent bulb reliably below about 50 degrees F (10 degrees C) ambient. The colder a bulb is, the higher the voltage that is required to strike the initial arc in the tube.

Al
#127777 - 12/10/01 02:56 PM Re: Flourencent Fixtures
Skinneh Offline
Loc: Canada
Thank you! What type of ballast would you recommend I get? I've noticed that sometimes the end of the bulbs get hot. Almost too hot to touch. What could be the cause of that?

Thank you for the info :-)

Scott.
#127778 - 12/11/01 04:17 PM Re: Flourencent Fixtures
Steve T Offline
Loc: Oak Park, IL, USA
For cold weather applications, I have been spec'd to install zero degree ballasts. They are engineered to lite up a tube in cold weather.

Member Spotlight
New in the Gallery:
SE cable question
Featured:

2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 36 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod

New in the Gallery:
SE cable question

Top Posters (30 Days)
Admin 47
HotLine1 43
gfretwell 19
Ruben Rocha 12
Trumpy 9

Newest Members
Scotto, Freecrowder, clee512, Jdscott2005, FAIZAN

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals