The Electrical Contractor Network

ECN Electrical Forum
Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals

Books, Tools and Test Equipment for Electrical and Construction Trades

Register Now!

Register Now!

We want your input!


2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Recent Posts
Industrail Control Panel bonding per 409.108
by sparkyinak
39 minutes 29 seconds ago
Calling all Non-US members!! (Non-US only)
by aussie240
12/07/16 02:39 AM
Photo Upload Tutorial
by DanK
12/06/16 11:35 PM
Sprinklered equipment 26-008
by bigpapa
12/02/16 04:24 PM
On Delay Relay with Auto Reset
by Potseal
12/01/16 09:59 AM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm˛ flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
gfretwell 13
HotLine1 10
sparkyinak 9
Texas_Ranger 8
Trumpy 6
Who's Online
1 registered (LongRunner), 98 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#126750 - 11/15/06 01:08 PM Service Upgrade
psgibson Offline
Junior Member

Registered: 11/15/06
Posts: 2
I am renovating and upgrading the 100amp overhead service to 200 amp underground on an older 1960's rental lake cabin and I am in the process of buying materials. I have an electrician lined up to install the new meter box and run the cable from the new meter panel to the new interior 200 amp breaker panel.

My question concerns the type of meter panel I am considering purchasing from an online auction. If I install an outdoor meter panel that comes with a 200 amp breaker and 8 slots, would this effectively turn the interior 200 amp breaker panel into a non-service entry panel, requiring it to be configured with the ground and neutral buses isolated as would be the case for a sub-panel?

#126751 - 11/15/06 01:47 PM Re: Service Upgrade
ShockMe77 Offline

Registered: 06/11/05
Posts: 823
Loc: Rahway, New Jersey
If your main disconnecting means is located outdoors, then the interior panels grounded conductors MUST be isolated from the grounding conductors to prevent objectional current flow on conductive parts.

By the way, I've never seen a 'Meter Panel' before. Do you have any pictures of it u could post?

Good luck.

[This message has been edited by ShockMe77 (edited 11-15-2006).]

#126752 - 11/15/06 01:50 PM Re: Service Upgrade
Zapped Offline

Registered: 10/01/02
Posts: 481
Loc: Huntington Beach, CA, USA
I highly recommend that you hand this task to your EC. A licensed Electrical Contractor will be able to sort through the units available and pick the right one for you and your application, if in fact one exists on the "online auction".

If you don't, you will probably be paying your EC to come out to the site just to tell you that you have the wrong unit.

There are a lot of models and brands that will work, and a lot that will not. Let your EC do his job.

#126753 - 11/15/06 02:15 PM Re: Service Upgrade
psgibson Offline
Junior Member

Registered: 11/15/06
Posts: 2
The meter panel I am looking at is on eBay, item #150057118071, if you want to see it.

This type of combo meter panel is what my EC recommended when I met with him last week. The project budget is very tight, so I've been searching online to obtain equipment at a discount. I understand there is risk in doing this, but there are also some great opportunities to save money.

Part No. MB816P200BTS
Standard Meter Center, All-In-One, 1-inch BR Type - Non-EUSERC, 200 AMP, 10 kAIC, 8/16 Distribution, 4 Jaws, Provision for Main, Bottom and Top Feed Breaker, Ringless Security, OH/UG Service, NEMA 3R - Rainproof Enclosure, Surface Mount

#126754 - 11/15/06 03:06 PM Re: Service Upgrade
Roger Offline

Registered: 05/18/02
Posts: 1779
Loc: N.C.
The Meter/Main on ebay work fine.

Your EC will know what to do about the grounding in the interior panel.


#126755 - 11/15/06 03:21 PM Re: Service Upgrade
Dnkldorf Offline

Registered: 12/12/04
Posts: 1091
Loc: nowhere usa
I'd make sure my POCO would allow this manufacturers model # to be used.
Did you check, and make sure that this meter combo model # is allowed?

Mine will only allow you to use certain model numbers from different manufacturers. You can't use anything else, but what they spec out.

Would be a bummer to buy that, and the POCO not allow it.

Good luck.

#126756 - 11/15/06 04:44 PM Re: Service Upgrade
e57 Offline

Registered: 05/27/03
Posts: 2837
Loc: S.F.,CA USA
Hmmmm... Buying a panel from E-bay? And handing it to your 'electrician'. Where do I start with what is wrong in this thread without getting rude?

[playing nice]
Bidding on an electrical panel and paying for shipping is a waste of money - not to mention an affront to any real-world licensed electrician you hand it to. We are in the buisiness of not just installing them, but selling them. Additionally as mentioned this item may be completely unusable, or inappropriate for your project depending on so many factors that could not be covered by the uninitiated on the the all seeing - un-knowing internet. [/playing nice]

This forum is for Electrical Trade Proffessionals! Not for the DIY'er.

As the scope of work you plan to do should on be done by a licensed electrician - let them do it....

[This message has been edited by e57 (edited 11-15-2006).]
Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason

#126757 - 11/15/06 05:31 PM Re: Service Upgrade
PEdoubleNIZZLE Offline

Registered: 06/16/04
Posts: 176
Loc: McKeesport, PA, USA
I have seen three types of situations where the customer buys the parts and the electrician installs them:

1: The electrician isn't really an electrician

2: The homeowner has a limited budget and doesn't want to pay for markup. often times, this gets bad because the homeowner will miss a few parts or buy what the guy at HD/Lowes tells him to get.

Either way, it's a bad Idea. Personally, I'd rather just spec the type of panel/pipe/etc and have the EC get it. Sure, there may be mark up, but it saves me time and gas, so it's really worth it.

The third situation is where the customer buys a certain fixture and has the EC install it. This isn't so bad, except when they buy a 70 pound chandelier and then you tell them they need a fan/heavy fixture box.

psgibson: Assuming that your EC is legit (not trying to place blame if he isn't), it's best to leave it to him to get the materials, or else if you really feel the need to buy it yourself, go to a supply house if you can, and not a major hardware store chain. The supply houses always carry more electrical parts than the Big box stores (whole warehouse vs. two aisles at HD)


ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals