Featured:

2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Recent Posts
Industrail Control Panel bonding per 409.108
by sparkyinak
Today at 03:17 PM
Calling all Non-US members!! (Non-US only)
by aussie240
Yesterday at 02:39 AM
Photo Upload Tutorial
by DanK
12/06/16 11:35 PM
Sprinklered equipment 26-008
by bigpapa
12/02/16 04:24 PM
On Delay Relay with Auto Reset
by Potseal
12/01/16 09:59 AM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm˛ flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
gfretwell 13
HotLine1 9
Texas_Ranger 8
sparkyinak 8
Trumpy 6
Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#126448 - 01/14/06 03:35 PM Traffic Signal Wiring
Theelectrikid Offline

Loc: Levittown, PA
I need to know what wiring method I should use to run 8 conductors to 4 locations in my living room. The wiring will originate at a J-Box holding a sequencer. Then they would go through the back of the box, 6" down the wall into the crawlspace. From there, they will span out to the four locations. One will be a few feet away from the J-Box, so I could pull a cable there. At each location, I need to be able to disconnect and connect signals as needed, so some sort of J-Box would be in order. I would have the wire/cable/pipe from the crawlspace terminate in the (1900?) box, where the signal's own cable would connect to it. There might be 3 cables, one with 8 conductors from the sequencer, one with 4 (w/ ground) for the traffic light, and one with 3 (and ground) for the pedestrian signal. This would only be installed for maximum seven months, until we move and the trailer is demolished. Sorry, but I or my family cannot afford an electrician for this, but I would like to do it as safely as possible.

Thanks,
Ian A.

#126449 - 01/14/06 03:43 PM Re: Traffic Signal Wiring
dougwells Offline

Loc: kamloops BC Canada
Well this could be a tough one. I understand what you want to do, i should search for your signal light thread from before as i don't remember if your using 120 Volts or not.You Can not just run electrical circuits under the floor to hide the wiring as all the wire will have to be rated for combustible issues. That eliminates cab tire control cable. even at low voltage the cable has to have a flame spread rating If you going though the floor with it.

#126450 - 01/14/06 03:51 PM Re: Traffic Signal Wiring
Theelectrikid Offline

120Volts. I know this won't be easy. Especially since I haven't been that far in the crawlspace before! I'll make a quick (crude) diagram if someone wants it and post it. Alsost forgot, I can get traffic signal cable from some contractors (electricians) if that's what is prescribed.

Ian A.

[This message has been edited by Theelectrikid (edited 01-14-2006).]

#126451 - 01/14/06 05:09 PM Re: Traffic Signal Wiring
Larry Fine Offline

Loc: Richmond, VA
Ian, I'm dying to understand what your living room, a traffic signal, and a trailer have to do with one another. In other words, "HUH?"

#126452 - 01/14/06 06:18 PM Re: Traffic Signal Wiring
JoeTestingEngr Offline

Loc: Chicago, Il.
Hello Ian,
Have you considered doing this project using X-10 Controls with appliance modules or something similar? Do you already have existing receptacles where you wish to place these items? If you build this project around X-10 (carrier current), infra-red, ultrasonics, or even UHF, you'll have something you can take with you. Do you have an adult with electrical and electronics experience to mentor you on this project?
Good luck,
Joe

[This message has been edited by JoeTestingEngr (edited 01-14-2006).]

#126453 - 01/14/06 07:58 PM Re: Traffic Signal Wiring
Theelectrikid Offline

Would X-10 work because I have the sequencer to control them? My dad is pretty good with electrical work. Possibilty 1 below has a seperate feed going from the sequencer to each J-Box except Phase 2, which has a signal right next to the sequencer. Possibility 2 has one feed for each phase from the sequencer, which would keep the sequencer box untangled and help keep it cool. Please note, I would want a surface mounted J-Box (1900) for each light.

Ian A.

[This message has been edited by Theelectrikid (edited 01-14-2006).]

#126454 - 01/15/06 06:25 PM Re: Traffic Signal Wiring
classicsat Offline

I'd use conduit, either smurf tube or rigid EMT.

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals