Featured:

2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Recent Posts
Industrail Control Panel bonding per 409.108
by sparkyinak
Yesterday at 03:17 PM
Calling all Non-US members!! (Non-US only)
by aussie240
12/07/16 02:39 AM
Photo Upload Tutorial
by DanK
12/06/16 11:35 PM
Sprinklered equipment 26-008
by bigpapa
12/02/16 04:24 PM
On Delay Relay with Auto Reset
by Potseal
12/01/16 09:59 AM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm˛ flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
gfretwell 13
HotLine1 9
Texas_Ranger 8
sparkyinak 8
Trumpy 6
Who's Online
0 registered (), 192 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#126201 - 08/06/05 05:35 AM Jobsite Etiquette...
Attic Rat Offline

Loc: Bergen Co.,N.J. USA
... We're roughing in an approximately 5000 sq.ft. house this week,and even tho' the framers are supposed to have been gone long ago,they're still milling about with their change orders;adding windows,moving door frames,CUTTING WIRE!!and stealing stuff.Yes,you read it right,..stealing stuff... at the end of a long day,I take off my hammer loop and belt and my nailbag for staples,and leave it in one of our boxes of supplies for the job(never do we leave any tools).The next day,I come to work and I look for my hammer belt,..I find the hammer-loop,and some sorry excuse for a leather belt attached to it..One of the foreign framers had switched my new belt with his old cruddy one,complete with white crystallized salt marks on it where the poor slob sweated on it for what looks like an eternity.Also missing was my 8 foot "A" frame ladder,as well as my 6 footer.We searched the house high and low,and had given them up for abduction until I spied the top half of the ladder thru the 2nd fl.window...ON THE ROOF!! I climbed along a narrow parapet there to find both of my ladders with roof cement all over the rungs and abandoned.They also "appropriated" my 18" fan,that we use for cross ventilation,.."Hey go buy your own"..These guys are animals..I have to CHAIN every little piece of property down,and then hope my wiring remains intact.. What a way to work..
Russ

#126202 - 08/06/05 06:37 AM Re: Jobsite Etiquette...
GA76JW Offline

Loc: Suwanee, GA USA
These wouldn't be our buddies from south of the border, would they?

If so we have the same problem with about 75% of them here in Atlanta. I have run across some guys who actually care and ask beforehand, but the majority do what they want and then say. "no speak english" and go about their way. It is really frustrating and I feel your pain. .

#126203 - 08/06/05 06:44 AM Re: Jobsite Etiquette...
Tiger Offline

Loc: Crystal Lake, IL USA
Last year a drywall crew showed up and asked for a clamp light so they could work. I guess I saved them an hour to the store & $5! The guys that do the fire alarm wiring show up in cars without ladders (20' ceilings).

I'd cry lowdly to the GC. Babysitting subs is their job description.

Dave

#126204 - 08/06/05 06:53 AM Re: Jobsite Etiquette...
Celtic Offline

Loc: NJ
Every cord would be cut...extension cord, air line - whatever; damage my ladder - you find your ladder cut down the rungs.
When asked.."no habelmos espanol".

I never leave a tool on a job that is not secured - locked up.
Wires that are cut, stay cut until I recieve a signed change order from the HO/GC. The HO/GC is supplied with a photo of the affected wire.

Some people may call me a prick, but they only say that one time per job ~ by then they have learned their lesson...or the "schooling" continues.

#126205 - 08/06/05 07:25 AM Re: Jobsite Etiquette...
Electricmanscott Offline

Loc: Holden, MA USA
To survive with the aholes you have to be an ahole. My policy is no rough till ready. That means I am the last one in. Framing done, plumbing done, hvac done. This attitude comes from years of experience. I work with small contractors so it works well for me as production and speed are not the main factors in the job.

#126206 - 08/06/05 08:10 AM Re: Jobsite Etiquette...
Tiger Offline

Loc: Crystal Lake, IL USA
Since I work alone I like to start before the other trades are done (so I don't hold up the project). Like an old dog, I mark out my territory to put my tools and materials, but I rarely leave anything of value on the jobsite.

Dave

#126207 - 08/06/05 08:57 AM Re: Jobsite Etiquette...
e57 Offline

Loc: S.F.,CA USA
Same here, no tools left behind... (The guy walking around with your stuff should be ejected from the site as the thief he is.)

Otherwise, I play nice until I feel a clear line needs to be drawn. I'll let other trades use my ladders IF some rules are followed:

ASK
Bring it back when done.
And vacate, if I need it.

Sometimes a job can get clogged with un-used ladders that just become a nusiance. Did a 30k' place, and simularly the alarm guys asked. Sprinkler guys didn't, of whom had thier own, just too lazy to drag them around, grabbing the nearest one. So I would lay it on the floor in place, and Krypto lock the rails together. Eventually, if you didn't want to go looking for your ladder after lunch, you would have to lock it. After the sprinker guys left, all back to normal.

Cutting wire, same here. C/O on T&M! But they had better be letting me know when they do.

#126208 - 08/06/05 09:39 AM Re: Jobsite Etiquette...
Celtic Offline

Loc: NJ
 Quote:
C/O on T&M

Is there any other way ?

#126209 - 08/06/05 12:05 PM Re: Jobsite Etiquette...
renosteinke Offline
Cat Servant

Loc: Blue Collar Country
I do electric work. I do not argue, fight, hunt, supply, or anything else.
If a contractor cannot or will not provide a crew of adults, or if the general tolerates such subs, I'm out of there!

I had a similer prob come up ONCE on what was an otherwise good job site. I had an extension cord disappear. Everyone assumed that the non-English-speaking drywall crew were responsible. Of course, they knew nothing....
The rock leader asked why would I leave it out- as if that was a very silly thing to do. I explained that I left the cord, as well as my generator, and my gas can, out for their convenience. With this, he immediately had a VERY talkative huddle with his crew, with much gesturing, etc. Moments later, I had a minute-by-minute account of the extension cord, including exactly who put it in which bin of their truck!
A call to that contractor (not the rockers) led to the man in question being called to the site, and the cord recovered. Just a mis-understanding, of course!

The point is, it only takes one ahole to ruin a good job. It is worth it to insist on a good job site.
Those who think otherwise will have to find another electrician!

#126210 - 08/06/05 12:06 PM Re: Jobsite Etiquette...
macmikeman Offline

Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii
I try to be polite, but I turn down requests to borrow my ladders on the job. Two reasons, they are there because I need them to finish my job, and second, I tell them if they get hurt falling off my ladder that sets me up as a "named also" in whatever potential lawsuit . Let them or their cheapo employer go buy the necessary equipment to complete their own jobs.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals